add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Transferring Operating Systems

Dogesters
  • 47 months ago

I have a laptop with Windows 8.1, and I am planning to build a new computer. would I be able to upgrade to Windows 10 and transfer the OS from my laptop to the desktop instead of buying a Windows 10 OEM key?

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Is your Windows 8.1 an OEM license? If yes, it is illegal to transfer to another motherboard. If no, it is legal to transfer to another motherboard.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

What is a good way to tell the difference between an OEM key or any other OS?

• 47 months ago
  • 2 points

What is a good way to tell the difference between an OEM key or any other OS?

The OEM products will contain OEM in the Product ID.

Press the Windows key and the Pause key at the same time.
Under the Windows activation section of the page, the Product ID (PID) is a 20 digit number next to Product ID.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Your packaging should tell you if it's OEM or retail.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube