add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can't boot Windows 7 after cloning

Luxion
  • 47 months ago

I cloned to an SSD the windows partition and I'm able to see its content via Ubuntu, or using the Windows Recovery Disk.

The problem is when I boot using Windows I have the following error:

Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your langugae settings, and then click next 3. Click "repair your computer."

If I use the recovery CD, or a Windows 7 CD Installation, It don't recognize my partition as a windows installation. If I use the prompt from the CD, I'm able to see the harddrive letter using diskpart, and also I can navigate through my folders (Program Files..., Program Files (x86)...) but I don't know why is not detecting as a valid W7 installation.

What can I do before lose all the data in this partition making a reinstall?

Thank you view more: http://www.splaygame.net/play-dune-buggy-game-1475.html and http://www.splaygame.net/play-game-gta-667.html

Comments

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

The cloning software used may not have been compatible with file system type(s), size(s)... with original system and/or new system.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

"where to put the clone". Obviously, it would have to be another hard drive of great enough size to hold all of the files from the original drive. The two drives in this operation, do not have to be identical.

In a true clone, every BIT of information from the source drive is copied. Of course, that must include the boot sector, MBR, and everything else.

Using the DOS based program "Ghost"* I've cloned a standard hard drive to an SSD, and an SSD to a standard hard drive, with never a problem.

it would seem you using the wrong program. ??

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your langugae settings, and then click next 3. Click "repair your computer."

Did you pirate your Windows or otherwise use an illegal Windows license?

If I use the recovery CD, or a Windows 7 CD Installation, It don't recognize my partition as a windows installation.

Is it an OEM license that came from a different computer? OEM licenses are permanently tied to the motherboard they are first used for.

If I use the prompt from the CD, I'm able to see the harddrive letter using diskpart, and also I can navigate through my folders (Program Files..., Program Files (x86)...) but I don't know why is not detecting as a valid W7 installation.

If you did not pirate your Windows, it could be due to a hard drive failure.

What can I do before lose all the data in this partition making a reinstall?

Can you try booting Linux off a USB stick to access all of your files and then copying them to an external hard drive? Not sure if I'm fully understanding.

Hope this helps.

• 47 months ago
  • 1 point

To get the data off , I suggest making a liveusb of Ubuntu and then taking all you're files and putting them on a external hard disk. Then reinstall.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube