add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I downgrade PSU?

SirDodoDuck
  • 45 months ago

So after looking at some reviews of the GTX 1060 I found that it was more power efficient than the RX 480. I have seen the RX 480 running perfectly fine on a 430w PSU (without an overclock). At the moment I have a CX600 and I am starting to think that 600 watt is too much. I have an ITX case so no sli or x fire. Should I downgrade to a 500 or 550 watt PSU, and get a better quality one (thinking if something like EVGA GS) or just stick with the CX? Thanks ;)

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

Just keep what you have now, no need to spend more money unless you really want to have a more "premium" PSU.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

That might be the way to go since in Australia PSUs are so expensive. I might look at some used ones though and see if I can find anything worthy.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

The psu will only use however much power it needs. You would not be drawling 600 watts continuously. All it means is if you have an oversized psu, is your not sitting at the optimum point on the efficiency curve. Not a massive issue and would proberbly only add few bucks if that to you overall annual bill then a right sized psu.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I already knew that, but I just think what's the point of having a 600 watt PSU if only 450 watts is what my system uses.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Of course you could get a right sized one. But it would take a number of years most likely in which you would have effectively saved more on your power bill then the cost to replace. What you would likely be using a handful more watts with the 600 w unit then you would with a 450 w unit in typical use which would take a while to cover the cost of a new psu,

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't really care about saving money, but mainly the wattage that is going to waste that could be utilised for something else. I'll keep my PSU until one of my friends builds a PC then I'll "downgrade" I think, and give my CX for them to use. Thanks for the help ;)

• 45 months ago
  • 3 points

There is absolutely no need to lower the wattage of your power supply. The higher the better.

The Corsair CX, even being a lower tier unit, is not a fire hazard and will not cause a fire or explosion. (Please don't downvote me for the truth.)

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

downvotes becasue the CX will explode and take your entire house with it

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

A CX power supply called me names and stole my lunch money.

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 4 points

downvotes because you downvote obvious sarcasm involving a myth

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Stops playing downvote game

I don't like the part about downvoting someone that's telling the truth.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually didn't downvote, I actually upvoted you...

• 45 months ago
  • 0 points

Thanks, although higher isn't always eg. If you only have a very basic system without a gpu you shouldn't get a 1000 watt PSU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube