add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler Master TX3 EVO vs be quiet! PURE ROCK

Hi.

So I've just recently upgraded my FX-8320 to an FX-8350 overclocked to 4.4GHz, and currently, my Cooler Master TX3 EVO is struggling to keep up with the thermal output load of the cpu. After optimising the single fan speed in the BIOS, idling the CPU reads about 40, while under load, the CPU often reaches 75 to 85* while in Prime95 and gaming.

My question is: is it worth upgrading the cooler to the be quiet! PURE ROCK, or not.

I have looked into a water cooling loop, but I do not currently have space in my Thermaltake Versa H23 case to mount the radiators and fans, and I do not want to risk leakage even without considering cost.

Comparatively, the PURE ROCK has a 120mm radiator fan compared to the 92mm fan on the TX3 EVO, so it should suck more air through the heat-sync. Also, the PURE ROCK has a 1cm larger width, 3cm larger length, and 6 more fins giving it roughly 80% more heat-sync surface area than the TX3 EVO. However, the TX3 EVO has its heat-pipes directly touching the CPU, where the PURE ROCK has an aluminium base. My worry is that this aluminium base may offset the larger surface-area on the heat-sync making the upgrade pointless.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

The Pure Rock has much better performance. Honestly the TX3 is lacking in it and its a fairly old cooler. What is your budget and where are you located?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm located in the south of the UK, looking for a good (if not "the best") CPU cooler for about £30. Price isn't really a limiting factor, but I do not have bottomless pockets and I plan to upgrade my GPU in the future.

• 42 months ago
  • 2 points

Cryorig H7.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

That looks rather good, I hadn't considered this... Thanks

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/4TCrxr/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machorevb

Great cooler. It gets about Notuca D15 performance and silence for under 40 quid.

Edit: Never mind. It doesn't fit in the case. You could take the risk since its only 2mm over.

Edit #2: Its 7mm over so I don't think is a chance of it fitting.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TsL7YJ/thermalright-cpu-cooler-machodirect

Similar, slightly smaller.

Wait, Thermaltake lists 155mm for CPU cooler max height.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I could swore I saw the Evo 212 compatible with the case on here hence why I said 2mm over but looking back its not compatible with it and looking up the max height it its 155mm.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a b***h finding a good cooler that can fit. Would have bought a case with a larger width, but I had a really small budget when I built the PC.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, does anyone know the RAM clearance for the PURE ROCK?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube