add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question on Node 202 fans

poketchiken

41 months ago

I will be using the Node 202 in the compact computer I plan to build and I was looking at builds made with the same case and I noticed that in the case there is only one place for case fans, and that is under the graphics card. There is no dust filter above the graphics card on this case (unless I am looking at it upside down), but rather it is below the fan, and I know that a fan should push hot air out of the case-not just into a different part of the case. I don't know if the solution is as simple as putting the graphics card in below it so the fans can blow the air out the little vent (not sure if that's possible), or if I should put the fans in so it is pulling the hot air out, or one going one way and the other going the other way.

http://imgur.com/a/ImI3d

This picture is from someone who build with the Node 202 and posted pictures. You can vaguely see the fans through the dust filter/vent, and there is no vent on the other side of the case(where the graphics card is).

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

That's a really good question. Are you going to be running a blower style gpu? Because in that case, and I've seen multiple people do this on pcpartpicker, you should be able to just run two fans below the gpu as intake fans (pulling air into the case and the gpu.) The gpu can then do it's best to expel air through the back of the case.

Of course, the gpu is not going to be able to expel all of the air, but from what I have seen, as long as you have two fans acting as intakes at the bottom, you should be fine (both for blower and fan style gpus.) Don't worry, the hot air should get out just fine, with two fans sucking air in, you're creating postivie pressure (and more airflow for the gpu), and the hot air should have enough areas to vent out.

If you're running a thicker than reference (2 pcie slot) card, you'll probably want 15mm thick slim fans. Hope this helps!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

That helps me so much, actually. Thanks for the advice on the fans. Should I stick with 120mm fans and just get them slim? Or should I even go for something smaller than 120mm?

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

120mm should be fine, that's what I've seen most people on here using. What gpu are you thinking of using? If it is a reference design, you can probably fit 25mm thick 120mm fans, if it is thicker than that, then slim fans are the way to go. How much do you want to spend on fans?

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

I read on a review of the case that if your graphics card is more than 35 mm in height, then you can't have the 25 mm thick fans (and vice versa). I was looking at a 1070, which i've seen other people use with the 25 mm fans, and according to this site that shouldn't work, because they're all about 40-ish mm in height.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10342/the-fractal-design-node-202-case-review/3 I am looking at the paragraph that starts with, "The most important feature of the Node 202..."

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 41 months ago
  • 2 points

Alright, the build looks fine man, the 1070 you are looking at is not thicker than two pcie slots. Fans should work fine!

• 41 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks so much, the fans were really concerning me.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube