add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I get an air cooler and then put a LED case fan on there?

GeoDashZorra

42 months ago

I'm trying to upgrade from my stock fan... however, I really want a black and red themed cooler with a red LED. Thats why I looked at the Cooler Master V8 GTS. It looked badass. Could I just get a cpu cooler and then put a LED case fan on it?

If so, what combo would you recommend?

I'd like to keep it under 50-70 dollars pls.

I'm looking for something quieter than i5 stock fan.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I posted this in your last thread. It's a little over $50, but imo it's the best looking heat sink + aftermarket case fan combo you can get.

If you really need it to be below $50, there's this

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Is that the best cooling I can get for that price range?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

More or less. To be honest, if you're looking for price/performance, you shouldn't be slapping an aftermarket fan on a heat sink.

Which CPU are you trying to cool, exactly?

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

A i5-6500 and eventually some kaby lake i7 (locked)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

(Almost) any compatible aftermarket heat sink will keep a locked processor sufficiently cool.

Spending more money on a CPU heat sink won't get you any more performance out of an unoverclocked processor, so you're only buying one for aesthetic and/or acoustic reasons.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't plan on overclocking ever it would focus more on looks and silence which are important to you than performance since just about any will do the job of cooling the CPU.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just trying to light up my Motherboard some more with the LED case fan. Intel stock cooler is really dull. I was thinking about LED strips, but they are purely for aesthetics, so I didn't really want that. Thats why I want to get a good looking cpu cooler.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I second this OP. Top flow coolers not only look Badass, but they are also totally unique, love seeing one in builds. Another cool thing about it is if the fan led is strong enough, you might be able to get a sort of underglow, where there is a soft red light around the cpu area on the mobo.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master GeminII S524 Ver 2 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler $37.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Cooler Master JetFlo 95.0 CFM 120mm Fan $16.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $54.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-22 21:06 EDT-0400
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as you don't overclock you can put almost any 120mm LED fan on it. If you need it to actually perform the issue will be most LED fans do not have the CFM necessary to cool it properly.

I wanted to trade out my 2-140mm fans on mine with Riing fans until I realized i'd be trading 89CFM fans for 40 CFM fans (but then I'm running a 4.2ghz overclock.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

6 months? I guess that is good. What is the price?

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

That is nice, If it performs as well as my TC14PE i'd swap for it. Mmm now that I look at it may not only 4 heat pipes and single rad.

[comment deleted]
  • 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's what I gathered after I read some more. With already having a Phanteks it doesn't make sense to get less performance for some LEDs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube