add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best water 280mm water cooler for i7 4770K

SynchHD

75 months ago

I'm looking to OC to about 4.3 or 4.4, and do benchmark testing and a bit of gaming at 4.7 GHz+. I'm getting an ASRock Extreme4, so what is the max OC the board can do?

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

Just to let you know, you'll be lucky to get a chip that'll do 4.7 GHz+, especially without custom liquid cooling.

As to your question though, I have a 4770k OC'd to 4.5 GHz under an H100i. So anything comparable to that will do will, providing you get a good chip. The board will not limit your OC, i.e. you'd be able to push it to over 7 GHz if you wanted to with LN2 or something.

• 74 months ago
  • 2 points

The cooler while important does not guarantee your ability to reach the overclock. The margin of the CPU will dictate this as well as the voltage. Voltage is the key in Haswell and no cooler even a 280MM closed loop can handle full load frequencies with voltages exceeding 1.300 to 1.325. Depending on how you test and the voltages you define this will define what is realistically possible.

Without knowing what your CPU can reach it is difficult to know whether your investment will be justified.

as for your 4.2 to 4.5GHz OC this is realistic but could still varying considerably based on the voltage needed to define it.

I would consider an ASUS board. The Z87-A is at a great price right now with a rebate bringing it down to below 100 dollars. One of the key benefits is not only is a great entry overclocking board but it offers dynamic overclocking that is automatic based on your CPU cooler and CPU margin. it also maxes out the voltage to no more than 1.250 this helps to ensure a safe voltage but also one that still allows for room should your CPU be able to reach that frequency within that voltage range.

You can see some performance testing relative to overclocking the board below.

As for cooler recommendation. I would consider Nepton 280L or Glacer 240L.The NZXT and Corsair 280M options also offer solid performance.

Hope this helps! Best of luck with your overclock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/8668-wondering-about-overclocking-on-z87-motherboards-all-asus-z87-mbs-48ghz-ddr3-2400-4-dimm-stability-tested-results

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say the kraken x60

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube