add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 Upgrade Workaround?

Omnislash89
  • 46 months ago

Community, I am debating upgrading to Windows 10, however I wanted to discuss a workaround.

I was planning on cloning my SSD with 8.1 on it and then upgrading the clone with the "free upgrade".

Because this would upgrade my license to a W10 one, I am concerned that my "original" will no-longer function properly, since the key will for all intents and purposes no longer exist as an 8.1 key....and judging from my extensive use of the internet, would talk to the MSFT servers upon next update check and find something awry.

Is this a legitimate concern?

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Traffic Analysis, Windows 10

All text typed on the keyboard is stored in temporary files, and sent (once per 30 mins) to:

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

pre.footprintpredict.com

reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com

Telemetry is sent once per 5 minutes, to:

vortex.data.microsoft.com

vortex-win.data.microsoft.com

telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com

telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

oca.telemetry.microsoft.com

sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com

sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

typing the name of any popular movie into your local file search starts a telemetry process that indexes all media files on your computer and transmits them to:

df.telemetry.microsoft.com

cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net

vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com

pre.footprintpredict.com

When a webcam is first enabled, ~35mb of data gets immediately transmitted to:

i1.services.social.microsoft.com

i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net

Everything that is said into an enabled microphone is immediately transmitted to:

pre.footprintpredict.com

telemetry.appex.bing.net

telemetry.urs.microsoft.com

cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net

statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com

If this weren’t bad enough, this behaviour still occurs after Cortana is fully disabled/uninstalled. It’s speculated that the purpose of this function to build up a massive voice database, then tie those voices to identities, and eventually be able to identify anyone simply by picking up their voice, whether it be a microphone in a public place or a wiretap on a payphone.

Interestingly, if Cortana is enabled, the voice is first transcribed to text, then the transcription is sent to:

pre.footprintpredict.com

df.telemetry.microsoft.com

While the initial reflex may be to block all of the above servers via HOSTS, it turns out this won’t work: Microsoft has taken the care to hardcode certain IPs, meaning that there is no DNS lookup and no HOSTS consultation. However, if the above servers are blocked via HOSTS, Windows will pretend to be crippled by continuously throwing errors, while still maintaining data collection in the background. Other than an increase in errors, HOSTS blocking did not affect the volume, frequency, or rate of data being transmitted.

If anyone can also confirm the above, I won't touch W10 with a ten foot pole.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't try to do anything illegal even if you can get away with it. I will not help workaround legal restrictions of Windows. If it's an OEM license, the license is permanently tied to the first motherboard and cannot be used on another motherboard. If it's a retail license, you must fully destroy the first copy of Windows before using the license for a second machine. Anything not in compliance with the law and the Microsoft EULA/TOS may result in your Windows copy being unexpectedly disabled.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Both would be for the same system. It would essentially function as a dual-boot for different versions for different applications' compatibilities. (Hard to run system monitoring/overclocking software and legacy games on W10)

No hardware changes, just a cloned C drive.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Both would be for the same system.

Since the same system is the same motherboard, it's legal to transfer, even if it's an OEM license.

It would essentially function as a dual-boot for different versions for different applications' compatibilities. (Hard to run system monitoring/overclocking software and legacy games on W10)

If you're doing a dual boot, you might need to purchase two separate Windows licenses. I highly recommend you read the Microsoft Windows End User License Agreement and Terms of Service carefully first. (I know, it takes a long time and it's very legal, but I force myself to read any agreement I come across.)

No hardware changes, just a cloned C drive.

OK.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I made a back up of my win7. Free upgrade to win10. Restored my win7 image.

I have both my win7 key and win10 key for future use.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube