add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anyone Else Feel Like VR Is Going To Fail?

JackMex

35 months ago

Just like 3D TVs...

Comments

• 35 months ago
  • 4 points

One of two things that will probably happen

VR will never really capture the audience of the mainstream people, and will stay as a novelty for people with deep pockets and wallets. People developing for VR will eventually stop, and it will become a very niche thing with very niche support.

This one seems very unlikely, as VR is starting to become very cheap to run, and 2nd generation headsets should offer much better functionality while allowing to be cheaper for the masses. Although some companies may have doubt for VR and how well it will do in the spaces saying it's an expensive investment. It may fail similarly to how the PS Vita failed.

OR

VR will capture the audiences of the mainstream people, as it becomes an integral part of the gaming community, and even used for for industrial use cases. It is a tool as well as a fun experience, becoming something that can be used for games outside of the regular VR space and more on the point of amusement rides and other fun applications.

This is where I see the dream of VR becoming, and also where I think it'll be heading. Many companies are heading in this area, and unlike 3DTV's, there's a lot more you can do with VR than say a TV. Sure it's expensive for now, but I think that many companies are striving to make it cheaper. It may not be as integral as said above, however I wouldn't be surprised if it was used for that cases and became a very important tool.

• 35 months ago
  • 0 points

OR

VR **** will cause a craze the likes of what we have not seen since bubble gum. I see lube and lotions sales increasing as a side benefit from VR!

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

2017: HTC Vive combo pack! HTC Vive + boobs simulator + lube bottle!!!

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! ;D

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 2 points

VR in its current state I can see failing. Right now to me it's just a novelty which wears off after a few times of use.

Once the technology develops to the point where we can have something similar to a holodeck is when I will be interested.

• 34 months ago
  • 2 points

Star Trek holodeck game coming to the vive later this year. https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/12/ubisoft-star-trek-vr-game/

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

That's the bridge, not the Holodeck. :)

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I tried to find a holodeck game but I couldn't so I went with the next best thing.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say that the VR unit itself "is" the Holodeck.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Beam me up, SCOTTY!!

Holodeck, indeed, sir!

• 35 months ago
  • 2 points

Nope, I think it will succeed. These units have been out and being sold in fairly high numbers and this is really what I consider the Beta testers for current gen.

I expect the 2.0 headsets will only help further improve things fairly once there has been enough feedback.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh, when it comes down in price, I'll say it'll be a big thing for kids. That will help the market tremendously.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Google Cardboard is VR and it's only $35. I would say that it's cheap.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm saying, Vive and the Oculus Rift.

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

And then you need the room space for certain VR experiences. As well as possible accessories to make the experience all the more real. Kinect, anyone?

• 35 months ago
  • -3 points

Yeah, man, the cheap-*** VR isn't true VR. Just like 720p isn't true HD. Just a cheap knock-off.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Or maybe you just have high standards :P

720p is fine imo.

• 34 months ago
  • -3 points

Console cowboy, eh?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

No. Just because I think 720p doesn't look terrible compared to 1080p mean I prefer consoles over PC. Right now I am saving up money to build myself a gaming PC.

When I watch TV or play video games, I am more interested in the damn show or video game and won't notice (or barely notice) the difference between 720p and 1080p.

• 35 months ago
  • 0 points

Kids? Marketshare? Just add Nintendo!

LOL!!

• 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't see a whole lot of AAA support for VR just yet, and that's fine, I understand that there needs to be an install base in place first. However, other than AAA titles, what the flush else does VR have to hang their hat on at a higher price point? Crappy indie games? Movies? Are VR movies even legit now? Augmented reality? We kind of have that with our smartphones now. PokemonVR, anyone? Would you actually play that? For longer than a few weeks and purchase all of the inevitable DLC? Would you? Really?

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not gonna even get close to VR until something like what's in sword art online comes along.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Something to wish for, look forward to, perhaps.

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

i'm probably gonna be old as hell by then.but still.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

A few years from now, the prices should come down, and you'll be getting a better product.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Aye. The maturation of both VR hardware and VR software. Developer support will be much more experienced as a result, and thus, consumers can expect much better content for their VR gear.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Just like 4K TVs.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly my feelings on the matter. VR is just another flash-in-the-pan gimmick that few will adopt and many others will despise.

[comment deleted]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

I see what you did here.

[comment deleted]
  • 34 months ago
  • 1 point

that's a first

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 35 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahhhhhhhh, yesssssss!!!!

The **** aspect of VR is sure to make it quite the popular drug of choice. This is where VR can strike gold, baby, GOLD!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/nuRXXyy020kta/giphy.gif

• 34 months ago
  • 1 point

No NSFW content

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube