add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dual 8 core build

PDprototype
  • 46 months ago

To start off, I have gotten my build up and running. Unfortunately, not too it's fullest power and that is why I'm here. I am trying to run my build for video editing purposes.

I have 2 8-core processors on a server MB. At the time, I was having many BSODs because of the fact that Windows did not want to run anymore than 2 cores(total). I finally disabled all of them but 2, so I could at least use the build. But I am back here because I want to find out the problem as to why it won't let me run 16 cores. I have tried every Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008 & 2016, (Got them from my school's tech office to test it to see if it even started up) and still, it just throws up a BSOD if I run more than 2 cores on any of them.

Running Windows 10 at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Did you buy old xeon processors off ebay?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

No, but I did buy refurbished ones off of amazon though. Didn't think that would be the issue though, seeing as they still work with a few cores.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Press CTRL+Left Shift+ESC In Task Manager select the "performance" tab. Look to see if you have all cores functioning (including Virtual). If you don't see all your cores functioning, then its the CPU. If you see all the cores. Then I'd get another MoBo.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

It shows 4 cores, I was wrong about the 2 cores total. But the reason it shows that is because I have to set it to 2 cores in BIOS. If I set it to 4 or 6 or all, it throws a few different blue screens of death. You think that would still be the CPUs? or something to do with Windows? I would think that it would allow me to attempt to run them.

• 46 months ago
  • 2 points

Since you have tried at least six different Windows, difficult to imagine Windows being the source of the problem.
Try testing with a lightweight Linux distro, such as lubuntu LTS, to see if it is a hardware or software problem.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Provided hardware is all compatible,
If applicable, check your mobo's website for any BIOS updates.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I have updated the BIOS recently hoping a change would happen, but still got nothing.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like you have an Intel Xeon. Can you try running the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and reporting back with the test results?

If PASS: Proceed to conduct a POST test to determine if it is a problem with your motherboard.

If FAIL: It is very likely that it is a problem with your processor and you should try to send it back if it is still under warranty.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube