add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it worth the headache of RMA?

BWO_Kilroy
  • 79 months ago

So I am working on my first build, I got everything put together, and I find out that the first two slots for RAM do not work...

I am using the ASRock Z77 Extreme4

I have four slots (A1, A2, B1, B2)

The Manual said to put the ram into slots A1 and B1, so I did that, and I got an Error 55 from the Debug device "Memory not installed."

After trying all the combinations, I have determined that it will only recognize ram in the B1 and B2 slots, so I currently have both of them in those slots (2x4GB) running in single channel mode.

So my question is, is it worth the headache of removing everything I just installed, paying the $15 to ship it back, and waiting 2 weeks to get a new one just so I can dual channel the ram?

Comments

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Dual Channel benefits are over-hyped. They are not that amazing at all. If you think one day that you'll get 2 more sticks of RAM though it might be better to deal with that now for only $15, instead of paying for an entirely new mobo after the RMA period has expired.

Though if you're not thinking about upgrading I would not be bothered.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info, I have 8GB now, and the most I would ever really want is 16, which I kind of find excessive, and even if I did want 16, I can just do 2x8GB.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, so one of the cpu pins on the mobo is bent, could this be the problem, if it is the problem

A) How easy is it to fix B) Will the RAM be the only thing affected

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoa, if the CPU pins on the MB is bent, then its "the" issue. You can try to fix it yourself, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA but make sure you do it with utmost care or else that MB is dead.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly, if the RAM will be the only thing affected by it, I will leave it as-is, I don't want to risk killing the entire thing just so I can dual channel.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoa, sorry I thought that the RAM is not working at all. I have no idea why the RAM won't work in dual channel.

I suggest you to RMA the board.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I was saying. If the Dual Channel is the only problem from this, I will just keep the board, as it isn't worth it to me to pay to ship it back, wait two weeks, all for a 50% chance that I will get another board with the same or worse problem.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Ill be honest with you.

If I'm in your situation, ill try to fix that bent pin and if the dual channel still doesn't work, ill definitely RMA the board because if the board is really faulty then what will you do if the board stops working after a few months?

But that's what ill do and its your board & your choice.

Cheers!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube