add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Compatibility checker does not alert when a CPU cooler is used that does not support the CPU's TDP

LemonComputers

40 months ago

In this example parts list, the Reeven Brontes RC-1001b CPU cooler supports processors with up to 95W TDP, but the FX-9590 processor has a 220W TDP. While the CPU cooler does not support processors with this high of a TDP (yeah, AMD processors are power hogs), the compatibility checker is fine and reports that no compatibility issues were found.

It should display a warning same or similar to the following:

The Reeven Brontes RC-1001b CPU Cooler supports CPUs with up to a 95W TDP, but the AMD FX-9590 CPU has a 220W TDP. Either a more effective CPU cooler or a CPU with a lower TDP is required.

Personally, I don't care for AMD CPUs and like that particular slim CPU cooler, so if the above warning appeared to me, I'd change it to an Intel CPU with a lower TDP. (Well, actually, I wouldn't have an FX-9590 in the first place when I could get a better performing i3-6320 for less.)

This request doesn't only apply to this specific CPU cooler. It should apply to all CPU coolers to all CPUs. This CPU cooler was only used as an example since it has the 95W TDP limit and the FX-9590 processor was only used because it has a very high 220W TDP.

Comments

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube