add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help piecing together parts for a custom loop

ron187

42 months ago

So I'm looking for the best parts without going over $300-400(It's flexible, so don't be afraid to post more expensive stuff)

I have a fractal design Define R4

Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer

CPU i5 4690k

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X

I need blocks for CPU and GPU, all the tubing, connectors, pump, reservoir, radiator, and anything else. I'm not too into aesthetics: Function over form! I don't care about sound, I'm sitting next to a loud window unit AC.

I've done a lot of research, but it's all pretty overwelming, and I don't really wanna buy parts that aren't reliable.

I'm very mechanically inclined(used to build cars) and I've built 4 PC's and have torn this one down and rebuilt it several times upgrading/replacing parts/cleaning it. I'm not worried about putting it together, I'm just worried about buying the right parts.

Thanks in advance to anyone who puts a list together. We can talk on discord if needed as well.

Edit: After thinking about it, and looking again, the budget is probably going to be in the 500+ range, and I'm probably going to be getting a full tower case. I don't think this case is big enough for a decent res and pump.

Comments

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm also planning on upgrading to a 6 or 8 core CPU once Zen is released. I'm hoping it's going to be an AMD CPU in my case, but I'm sure it's going to be an i7 6800k.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

So 23 views and no help... I decided to put something together, but I need some opinions first... Here's what I have so far...

and I also have an EK block for my GPU, which isn't on frozencpu yet.

Can I go any cheaper w/o losing any performance? I feel like this may be overkill. I really want a solid copper block.

Will I need any other fittings other than the ones that it automatically gives me(you have to choose which ones you want)

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

don't forget to order fittings.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

the fittings come with the parts. if you look closely, you can see the fittings, but I'm not sure if I need any other fittings

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

EK has now also a custom loop configurator that should help you alot with getting all the pieces together.

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

im making a list for you now how do you want the hoses routed

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

CPU

GPU i have contacted ekwb the 1080 and the 1070 are the same waterblock.(I i have the 1070 gaming z and the waterblock works fine)

GPU backplate if needed

Compression Fitting 10/13mm( 3/8 - 1/2) you can change brand or sizing if you want a bigger hose

Tubing if you change the fitting make sure you have this

Radiator thinker radiator doesn't make the liquid cool down faster it all depends on what fans you get

Pump just a standard pump and change to whatever you want

Reservoir basic reservoir

this is a very basic list, everything can be change to your preference.

one thing i would change is getting the fitting form bitpower

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Is EK the best choice? I don't want to use them because they're easy and popular. I want the best, without going too extreme. I put a list together in the comments, can you take a look at that and tell me if those are better? I know the CPU block and radiator are definitely better than what you posted, but what about the other stuff?

And I plan on using 4 NF-A14's. Most likely a push pull config if I have room with a giant rad.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Is EK the best choice? I don't want to use them because they're easy and popular

personally theres nothing bad with ek i did my first water cooled pc with all parts from them and had no problem.

I put a list together in the comments, can you take a look at that and tell me if those are better?

i saw your list and i think your spending alittle to much on some items but if your willing to spend go for it, the part list looks fine only thing i would change is the radiator. no point on having a think radiator. when i did some research i found that the radiator thickness didn't matter to much whats more important is the type of fans you use on them

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I was looking at a thread about why AIO's aren't as good and pretty much everyone said it was because of the rad and pump. Rad's not big enough and pump's not moving it fast enough. I just went with the biggest one lol... I'll look into that more. I'd like to have a stable 4.9-5Ghz on my 4690k(gonna delid when I do this too.) I'll probably use the stuff on your list with the block in my list and I'll find a copper rad that's a bit smaller.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

if you wanted to keep the radiator go for a fan with higher static pressure

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

OK... I have a new list...

GPU Block

CPU Block

Resevoir

Pump

Tubing

Radiator

Coolant

Total comes to about $720 shipped...

Is there a comparable CPU block for less? It's a special edition, but it looks nice and it's solid copper and I've seen good reviews...

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to clarify you want to do a custom loop for the experience and aesthetics right? If doing it for performance you'd be better off getting a custom 1080, possibly upgrading to Skylake depending on your use case (if gaming, no if streaming, rendering or encoding perhaps).

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

When I said performance, I meant the performance of the loop, not the system. I would like to be able to get 4.9-5Ghz. So yeah... I'm doing it because I've been tearing old radios and car parts down and putting them back together since I could walk. I love doing stuff like this. The looks aren't really that important, but I'm going to go ahead and get a braided cable kit with my custom loop.

I don't think spending $500 for a 5% increase in performance is really worth it... I've been thinking about getting a 6800k though, but I'm waiting to see what zen has to offer.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

I just didn't want you thinking "I'll water cool this and get a lot of performance out of it". Depending on your usage, if it's gaming, your existing CPU is more than adequate and the overclock you'd be able to achieve on a closed loop versus heatsink and air or a 240mm or larger AIO is going to be minimal.

Again for gaming spending the $250-300 more for a GTX 1080 will net you a great deal more return on investment. This is also resolution and game dependent, 4k or 3440x1440 a 1080 would be a much better choice.

Custom loop water cooling has almost no ROI. There are plenty of reasons to do it but performance usually isn’t one of them (unless you are rocking two 1080’s and a 6950k and have a grand or two more and you want to push the envelope on).

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I pretty much only use it for school(math and basic coding) and gaming. I'm getting a 1080p acer predator with gsync, so a GTX 1080 isn't really needed. My 1070 will easily run any game at 60+ fps, and the games that I need the 144hz for are running at 120-300 fps on max settings, which I usually turn down because lower graphics settings usually mean less crap in your way.

I'm at 4.5 GHz at 1.26V on my 212 Evo, so I'm definitely not expecting to see any real noticable increases.

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

i would change coolant brand, Feser not the best and sometimes stains i would go with Mayhems

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah I decided to go with distilled water and silver after reading up about dyes/colored liquids.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube