add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 10 transfer

bananaftw
  • 46 months ago

Knowing that buying a Windows 10 license only allows for one PC, but if I were to switch to new PC, can I transfer the Windows 10 license?

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Knowing that buying a Windows 10 license only allows for one PC, but if I were to switch to new PC, can I transfer the Windows 10 license?

If it's an OEM license: No, the Windows license is permanently tied to the motherboard and is illegal to use on a new motherboard.

If it's a full retail license: Yes, it is legal to transfer the Windows license to a new motherboard, but it is highly recommended that you do a clean install or you may result in a BSOD.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

To add to this:

Always reinstall Windows when changing major components (CPU/Motherboard). Note that you will probably have to make a call to M$, but they have a really cool system set up for smartphone users. I've done this a dozen times to transfer my M$ Office products between PCs, and I have no doubt that they use the same system for OS transfers.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. A clean install of Windows is always highly recommended after hardware upgrades or a BSOD may result.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube