add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Reusable motherboard with Windows

TacoNinja
  • 46 months ago

I'm going to upgrade my motherboard, which also means I'll have to get another Windows copy (which I'm fine with me,) but does that mean the old mobo will have a key locked on it? Can I just reinstall Windows for a new build without needing a new Windows copy?

Comments

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

does that mean the old mobo will have a key locked on it?

Yes.

Can I just reinstall Windows for a new build without needing a new Windows copy?

You can.

?!

But you won't be able to activate it with the old product key as it is tied to the other motherboard.

I don't get why people buy OEM operating systems when for a couple of more bucks you could get the full version and move it to their new PC...

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks. I meant reinstall for the old board. And I just checked, I do have the full retail version. Is there a limited amount of times I can reactivate a key?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think so.

But you could read the EULA. :)

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

That's cool. Im guessing that it's not really legal to just go around giving it to people?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

... full retail version.

One license/product key, one system.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube