add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

990 vs 970 motherboard chipsets.

polevault8
  • 79 months ago

I plan on building a computer for just gaming. I will be using a fx 8350 cpu and r9 280x gpu. I need to keep the costs low so I am planning on using a 970 motherboard chipset. I will buy a hyper evo 212 cooler for cooling during overclocks. My question is how much of an improvement is the 990 chipset over the 970, and would my cooler restrict my overclocks before the board does? I would like to have the ability to crossfire in the future.

Comments

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

In my experience with the FX 6300 and 970 chipset, the motherboard restricts my overclock before the cooler. The 970 chipset boards rarely have good enough cooling and result in the CPU throttling.

If you want to crossfire, I could only recommend a 990FX board. It has 2 x 16X PCI-E slots rather than the 970 which generally has 1 x 16x PCIE and 1 x 4/8x PCIE slots. Better VRM + Northbridge cooling. Usually more USB 3.0 + SATA3 ports in addition to other features.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

With an 8350 you definitely want a 990 chipset for serious overclocking. The ASUS 990FX PRO is pretty good on a budget but if you're series you'll probably want an 8 phase board (avoid the UD3 boards as they feature faulty VRM on the revision 3.0 boards). You'll probably want a better cooler, too. The EVO just isn't powerful enough for the high TDP of an overclocked 8350 (considering the 4.7ghz 9370 has a 220w TDP). A decent CLC or dual 120 or 140mm air cooler would work.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

currently the cheapest 990 chipset is this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-990fxextreme3

In the U.K anyway...

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to OC/crossfire, 990 boards are the only choice.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/motherboard/#s=4&l=1000&c=17&sort=d5

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube