add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Airflow for Fractal Design Define R4

Markpw

40 months ago

Hi, I need some help to set up a good airflow in my new PC build.

I've been playing on this PC for a bit with a cheap CPU cooler, but finally ordered all the parts. including new CPU cooler and more case fans. Ordered a new monitor the Dell S2716DG too (been gaming 1080p @60hz for 2 weeks with this PC and 1.5 years on my previous one) Which means I will start playing at 1440p @144hz :D I know it's a tn panel sadly but the other options increased in price too and I was left with this option...it was still £460. All in all I need good cooling.

Here's the build: I5 6600k with NZXT Kraken x61 liquid cooler GTX 1080 STRIX Corsair 8GB DDR4 Ram (for now, plan to update later) Asus Z170-A motherboard Evga 750 watt g2 psu 250GB SSD 1TB HDD

Also ordered an NZXT HUE + which should make it light up in all sorts of places :DD to match the gpu's lights

A link to how the Fractal Design Define R4 looks: https://www.technic3d.com/article/pics/1476/Einleitung/fractal_r4_1_25.JPG I also removed the top hard drive cages, only left the bottom 3 in.

And now for the airflow. The case came with one 140mm front intake one and one 140mm exhaust fan at the back. I ordered extra two 140mm fans, will put one to the bottom and another one to the front. I plan to have two fans pulling in air from the front, and the one at the rear as the exhaust. The NZXT Kraken x61 comes with two 140mm fans which I will place on the top for another exhaust. The question is, how should I position the bottom fan? If it's another intake fan, wouldn't it cause issues since the gpu is not far above it which pushes air down?

Also right now the psu is dragging air from the case, would it be better to drag air from the bottom and exhaust at rear (in its own cycle)? Overall will this be sufficient for cooling or will I need to buy anything else?

Tl,dr: two 140mm front intake fan, one 140mm at rear and two 140mm at top exhaust. How should I position the bottom fan for optimal airflow and is this gonna be sufficient for a good cooling?

Thank you in advance :)

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Hum...this might be something you need to play with. There is more than enough airflow for your build so really it becomes a question of positive or negative pressure.

I have worked with the r5 in similar setups and I tend to move the exhaust fan to the front for matching front intake fans then use the 280mm rad fans for exhaust. I have placed a 120mm exhaust just to make sure the 280mm didnt bring in air from the back. The rear 140mm would be fine but im a bit rusty on the r4 layout, the rear 140mm will likely hit the 280mm setup. I have had even 120mm fans hit too.

A few R5 builds I have done

https://www.instagram.com/p/7wT50FtlUz/

These two are the same....long story short the original setup was with the asus and 120mm fan, the second is a different cooler and it didnt allow the 120mm to fit so we left it out. Long story lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/7wT50FtlUz/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD5PjJXNlXF/

Regarding psu fan being up or down. If the case if on a floor I make sure the fan faces up (draws air from case interior) if its on a desk I will place it down (takes outside air in)

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, your builds look great!

I will try the front and bottom intake, top and rear exhaust first, see how that works :) and my PC is on my desk so I'll turn the psu around too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube