add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time AIO liquid cooler?

oryeo213

41 months ago

Hi, this is my first forum post so please bare with me.

I'm upgrading my current rig slightly because A) my case has scratches all over the place and B) I'd like to make for a cleaner setup.

I was wondering, would it be a good idea to get an AIO liquid cooler such as a Corsair H100i v2, or an NZXT Kraken x6, or any other suggestions? I'm overclocking my CPU slightly from 3.5 GHz to 4.0 GHz, all being cooled by the Hyper 212 EVO. I'm also planning on upgrading my case to the Fractal Design Define S or the Phanteks P400S case with the side window, and I also had ideas to put in some LED lights to show off the internals.

ALSO, I plan on getting a GTX 1080 when I go through with this whole upgrade process.

So all in all, would it be a good idea to upgrade to an AIO cooler, and if so, which one? Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to a simplistic, minimalist case option, all opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your time!

Here's my current setup: Case: Cooler Master HAF 212 CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RAM: 2 G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (16GB total) Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD - 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD - 1TB Western Digital Black HDD GPU: EVGA gtx 960 2GB SUPERSC 2.0+ Video Card PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power

Comments

• 41 months ago
  • 3 points

Well, for AIO, 2 things are important, the amount and size of the fans and how thick the radiator is.

For example, a 280mm radiator (2 x 140mm fans) would normally be better than a 240mm (2 x 120mm fans) one.

The Kraken X61 from NZXT is a good one along with the H115i from Corsair.

If you are thinking of possibly expanding said AIO into a custom loop at a later time, something like an EK Predator might be a better choice but it will be much more expansive tho8ugh.

For a Define S, I would go with either a 240mm or a 280mm radiator with the second being the best at cooling your CPU but for a 4.0Ghz , the H100i GTX/v2 should be more than enough though.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

I was planning on getting a 280mm radiator for the build. I don't think I'll be expanding to a custom loop anytime soon, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Thank you so much for the quick reply! :)

Post Script, If I as to have the Phanteks P400S case, which cooler would you suggest I use?

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

The P400 is open enough I would suggest the X61 from NZXT as the best pick.

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much!!!!

• 41 months ago
  • 1 point

H100i v2 is goood

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube