add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What kind of cpu cooler should I run with my i7 4770k?

kfriend77

75 months ago

Trying to decide what is an efficient cpu cooler. I plan on playing Battlefield 4 and heard things could over heat with the stock cpu cooler. Here is my build to... http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kfriend77/saved/2S5S

Also I have read the cool master hyper 212 evolution is big and can block RAM space. If you could give me your thoughts it would be much appreciated

Comments

• 75 months ago
  • 4 points

I don't understand how you guys can recommend anything without first asking what kind of overclock he'd be happy with. All CPUs are different, but most will do 4.5GHz @ 1.25V. At that voltage he'd need something like an H80i or an NH-D14 to keep temps under control.

..But if he doesn't want to go that high or just wants a quieter cooler than stock, there's no reason to be suggesting anything.

So, OP, how high do you want to OC/do you even want to OC but just want a silent cooler?

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

Mostly just want a more silent cooler as personal preference but I don't plan on OC the cpu anytime soon.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

The Noctua NH-U12S will suit you pretty well for that then. You don't need a dual-tower heatsink or a 140/240/280/thick 120 radiator unless you want to overclock to 4.5GHz or higher. Unless you've got a godly CPU you'll need over 1.2V to make that happen, which overwhelms single-tower or slim 120 radiators on Haswell.

You'll also have less noise by going with as few fans as possible (without crippling airflow too badly), so the single NF-F12 that Noctua provides with that cooler helps. You could get the NH-U12P instead though, which comes with 2 fans, and then use the extra fan as a case fan instead of a stock case fan.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are not going to overclock, the stock heatsink is more than enough and the myth about overheating with the stock cooler is not true.

If you still want a 3rd party cooler, hyper 212 evo is the best choice.

• 75 months ago
  • 2 points

You probably won't run into overheating even with the stock cooler if you're not OCing and just gaming.

However, since you have a Z87 motherboard and a K-series CPU, I assume you might want to overclock? If that's the case, then bigger is better with coolers.

For bang-for-buck, have a look at the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

If you want top of the range air cooling, look at something like Noctua's NH-D14: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14

Alternatively, you could invest in one of the AIO watercooling kits like the H100i suggested by ajmoe99. Personally, I use the H90i, but the H100i is definitely better due to the larger fin area.

• 75 months ago
  • 1 point

I would agree you consider the 212 as a solid option for a low cost. It offers

Solid cooling performance up to around 1.25v Offers 4pin PWM based fan allowing for smooth fan curves that can be controlled more effecitvly

The only potential negative is that it could be slightly quieter under load but it is still very good under load in regards to overall acoustics.

A second option would be fall in line with the recommendation by LeMonarque which is the Noctua NH-U12S it will not impact the DRAM banks and will offer quieter operation and superior thermal performance. Additionally the mounting design is simpler and easier than that of the cooler master.

As you have an ASUS board I would consider two options for basic overclocking. This would help to justify the expense of buying a K and Z87 series board

1. Flip the TPU switch on the motherboard and it will enable approx a 4.2GHz OC nothing else is required. 2 You can running autotuning which will automatically overclock your CPU specific to the margin of your CPU and your cooler. In addition it does it efficiently by using an adaptive vid this means that you can still leverage the dynamic clock frequency adjustment under varying lows providing superior power efficiency as eel as reduced thermals and extended CPU lifespan.

Hope this helps. Best of luck with your build.

• 75 months ago
  • 0 points

the H100 would probably suit your needs

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube