add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheapest Legal Way to get Windows 10 without a disc drive

samdeitel
  • 45 months ago

Hello,

I am building my first computer and looking for the cheapest way to LEGALLY get Windows 10 and install it. I did not get an optical drive so I am a little confused on how i will even go about installing it. If anyone could break down what it will take to install it I would apprecaite it.

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

You can use a USB pen drive to install Windows when you can't use an optical disk drive.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wskwrH/microsoft-os-kw900016

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

If you happen to be a college student, and go to a university, then there should able a promo for win10 $100 off price or something to that effect. College students usually get discounts for stuff like that, office suites, other certain programs. This ofcourse is under the assumption you are a college student at a university.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Do not suggest that subreddit here. Those keys are not legitimately distributed and break MS ToS.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks I didn't know! So is there any benefit to getting a CD key (from Microsft itself I guess) and making your own flash installer? Is it cheaper than just buying the flash drive retail version? Is it also tied to the mobo like the OEM version?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

The benefit of getting windows 10 from microsoft site is you are getting latest available build so that really helps. You might get a DVD which is 2 builds old.....

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

That makes sense I'm just wondering if there is an incentive to do that? For instance the flash drive retail version that you can continue to use if you upgrade your mobo is like $113. The OEM one that is tied to your mobo is like $90 some dollars. If you buy the key from wherever you buy legal keys from and make your own DVD/USB which one are you getting and is it any cheaper for doing the work yourself?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Its not tied to your motherboard anymore with the latest Windows 10 update.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I can download for free from Microsoft the installation program to a USB drive and then when I plug it into the new computer it will just install? and then I buy a OEM Product key and just enter the Key once it is installed? Is that all there is to it?

[comment deleted]
  • 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Great! Thanks for the info!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube