add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

mid or full case ?

Bubba8688

40 months ago

Mid cases look so much better for some reason but im worried about space issues. this is going to be my first build and im wanting to do a hard tube water cooler. This is the parts list im going with i may add another gtx 1080 later down the road. is there enough room in a mid case for this and custom watercooling. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $319.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $199.97 @ Amazon
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory $164.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $157.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $196.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card $719.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $156.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $119.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $88.89 @ OutletPC
Sound Card Creative Labs Sound Blaster Zx 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card $119.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter Asus PCE-AC68 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $92.96 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2348.54
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $2338.54
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-19 19:01 EDT-0400

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Mid towers are actually more common than full towers. The large size of full towers is too large for most people. Where's your case in your parts list?

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Personally, unless you went for a multi GPU set up, I would suggest going for a mid tower.

They still have a ton of space both for drives and cable management unless you go for the really cheap ones but theyre easy to spot.

Something like an Eclipse P400 still has a ton of room for this and is stilla mid tower case.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Space isn't a issue for 99% of builds with a mid tower case. The only thing that could make you need/want a a full tower is extra space for a third GPU although 3 way is way less common than it was before and even then it was very uncommon.

With a case like a Phanteks Evlov or a Fractal Define S you can put two 360MM rads in them and most other decent others also support a good amount of rads and have room to mount the pump/res somewhere along you might need to get out a drill.

Also the G2 is quite loud and has no zero fan mode and is way overkill. 750 watts or even 650 watts would be enough. Also the Black HDD is of bad value.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Full towers tend to have better airflow due to larger fans and more open space inside the case. If you have enough space at your desk for one it's nice having a full tower from a performance and expandability point of view.

Though to be honest, you don't lose all that much by going with a mid tower instead. For most people the space saved by going for mid instead of full is worth more to them than having a dozen extra 3.5" drive slots and 4 degree C lower operating temperatures.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

i was looking at the storm stryker atx. but if it fits every thing i kind of like the phanteks evolve. and thanks for letting me know about the psu and the hdd.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube