add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NAS Operating Systems

Deathstrike
  • 46 months ago

Hi all.

Me and my fellow housemate friends are starting to run out of room in our personal PCs/External HDDs. (We got about 9TB of just Anime, Games, Music and other junk between us). So I was thinking of setting up a NAS server that we can fill up with **** stuff to our hearts content.

We have already narrowed down to having 6x4TB WD Reds in Raid 5 (We like our **** Anime and don't want to have to download it all again if a drive fails). So 20TB total with a redundancy drive.

So what we are basically looking for now is a good NAS OS that is easy to use/configure and also has the ability of increasing the array with extra drives later on when we have downloaded too much.

What is everyone's recommendations?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

FreeNAS or OpenMediaVault.

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

FreeNAS

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 45 months ago
  • 0 points

Yeah plan on going the ECC route. Also just living in Australia makes things steep. $230 per 4TB WD Red so that is $1380 on HDDs alone.

Most likely go with OMV just so we can add more 4TB HDDs later if needed. Also will go with raid 6 as well.

Current Parts List for it http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Gdr3Z8

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube