add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Time limits on replying to forum topics

philip

40 months ago

I just rolled out some changes to the forums where you can no longer reply to very old threads. We've been seeing a lot of that lately - "necroposting" as it is commonly called.

So from now on, you'll only be able to reply to a topic if it is either less than two weeks old, or if the last reply was within the last two weeks.

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

Oh, I must say, I have 0 issues with reviving threads that are still relevant, but I have a question.

I have this guide that I have been updating for the last 2 months,

https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/163345-learning-corner

You will notice that, despite I have asked for more feedback, the last response (that is not mine) was from over a month ago.

I will very much like to keep updating it, and I want to (hopefully one day) get feedback and continue to make it better. I want it to help newcomers as much as possible.

What should I do to keep it "alive"? Should I bump it every week? Should I repost it every month? Should I just update my profile page?

Also, I am looking for ways in which I can showcase this guide more (even if it is "locked", I believe there is useful information there), but I am not sure how. I do not include a link in every post in "Create a part list for me" and "Part list opinions wanted" I respond to because not everyone needs that guide and I dont want to be intrusive.

I have tried the pc master race reddit, and got 2 responses there. So not very productive.

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, my bad, I should have clarified - this only applies to forum topics. Guides and completed builds can still be commented on forever and don't have the two-week limit.

For showcasing the guide, we'll toss around some ideas on how to bring back the guide index (with changes from how we had it previously).

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, the the guide I mention is a post in "General Discussion".

Should I attempt to move it to a build guide?

Thank you for your time.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

I have completed the transition to a build guide,

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/4y9TwP/learning-corner

Again, I thank you for your dedication.

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

this is one of those "this is why we cant have nice things" moments... we shouldnt need a time limit, and its very counter productive.... BUT a bunch of trolls messed all that up for us.

• 40 months ago
  • 3 points

So if i'm not mistaken... Post like this Are essentially useless now as they will never be constantly commented on but are relevant forever?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 40 months ago
  • 2 points

A website with staff that actually get stuff done is a beautiful thing :-)

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah there was too much necroposting, some even deliberate for the sake of trolling, going on lately. However, IMO there are some threads that haven't been commented on in the last two weeks and are still relevant - take for example my guide in the CPUs subforum about choosing the right Intel processor. I think maybe it could be something like one month instead, possibly? Just my 2 cents.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree, 30 days might be a better time limit, but still a good step.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Or a way the "submitter" could reply to add, update which would unlock it again.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

We're leaving it at two weeks.

[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Please stop. This functionality is not up for debate. We're not going to add some arcane set of scenarios where it unlocks.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

NOOOOO!!!!!!

But as always, you have the final call and i respect your decision

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Woo :D

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you Philip, this was exactly what I thought was the best way possible. As its not really limiting, but you can't bump months old threads.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

This is great, hopefully people will now stop incentivising riots by trolling other users by reviving topics... Hopefully

Also RIP 10K Comment Thread ;-;, Press F to Pay Respects

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

last reply has been in two weeks

This could be a bit OP, someone could just type "bump" to get the message to be open to replies all the time.

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep. If someone tries to troll like that we'll just do a comment ban for them.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

good idea

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Great news!!

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

gg

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 40 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's been longer than two weeks since any activity on it, then yep, that thread is now locked.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube