add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HELP NEEDED: Windows 7 Install stuck at "Expanding Windows files (0%)." and then "Error code: 0x80070017"

Pierceoftheender
  • 46 months ago

This is a follow up to my first problem: Here

Anyway, I fixed the problem by getting a 4.7 GB DVD-R from Verbatim, but then another one arose. I am stuck at "Expanding Windows Files" It gets stuck at 0% from anywhere ranging from 30 seconds to an hour, and always ends in the same conclusion...

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 080070017"

First time I thought, "Okay, maybe its just the disc..." I burn another one and... "Okay, maybe ill try 32-bit..." Nope. I then borrowed a copy of Windows Home Premium from the person I am making this computer for, again, NOPE.

I proceed to do my research, trying one stick of ram instead of two, doing a really long diagnostic of my ram, removing one of my hard drives, changing settings in bios to be optimal, etc.

I'm stuck. And there haven't been many times where I've been stuck with things such as this. I really hope the PCPP community can help me. Thanks.

(PS: Computer part list is listed in other forum)

UPDATE:

After removing the HDD and trying my luck at the home premium disc, it worked and is currently going up in the percent's. However, I have a Pro key, would that work with home premium? or no?

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! but I have already gone through that article. I also somehow got The disc I got from the person I'm building the PC for to work. Only problem is that it is home premium and I have a Pro license. Do you possibly know if this license will work or not?

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, if you have a pro license, then just download windows through a usb media.

• 46 months ago
  • 1 point

That was the problem I first encountered, never really fixed it. can be found at the forum link at the top.

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

I just used the key to upgrade windows from home premium... Got Pro installed then ran into another problem... I have 8 gigs... only 2.4 are usable. I am assuming its because I installed 32-bit. I am currently installing an upgrade to make it 64-bit. Do you think this will work?

hmmm... seems to be stuck at 98%?

(PS: I really appreciate that your helping me)

[comment deleted]
  • 46 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, cool. Thank you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube