add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

how long do psu actually last?

Cameron26
  • 43 months ago

I have a cheap one I know. http://www.outletpc.com/gc2222-evga-600b-80-plus-bronze-atx-power-supply.html?utm_source=gc2222-evga-600b-80-plus-bronze-atx-power-supply&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker&utm_content=EVGA%2B-%2BzOOS

but now I want to oc my i5. Ho long do these last. I see it says 3 year warranted. just wondering if I should get the 80 dollar one that is God and 7 year warranted. jw.

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Nobody can really tell how long a psu lasts some can last 2 days and others 10 years. You can overclock that psu but i wouldn't go all the way with it.

just saw your custom build don't forget that you need a z170 mobo to overclock a i5 6600k.

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

You can overclock that psu

Huh? I never heard of someone overclocking a power supply.

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

Overclocking a psu?

Sounds pretty... EXTREEEEEEEEME!!!!!!!!!!!

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

oops lol its cpu ofcourse ;)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I was thinking. But you can never know. :)

For instance I didn't know about "monitor overclocking", which turns out really to use non-standard frequency which used to be somewhat common with old CRT displays anyway. :)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

To be fair... Some sketchy OEM's have tried to put a 550w sticker on a 600 watt design, and say "you can Overclock your PSU to a peak output of 600w". If you ever see it don't trust it, they down rated the PSU for a reason (likely bad ripple or something when approaching max power).

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Eh, lol :)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I have to fix that page. I just ordered a z170 a and ddr4 ram

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

If you read the spcification it says

MTBF:   100,000 Hours

MTBF stands for Mean Time Between Failures. So in average 100,000 hours of operational time passes between a power supply would fail. So you could calculate the expected life span based on this. (Over 11 years of continuous operation.)

However, Enrico411 is right, no one knows the exact life span of the individual power supplies. If it fails within the warranty, you'll get a replacement. :)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

So I guess my question is. Should one with a liger warrentee? Tere is a 7 year one with gold. I believe it's super nova evga. Or would the 3 year one be better?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, the longer warranty is generally better. Also, this indicates how long the manufacturer really expects things to last. Do you know that there memory modules with lifetime warranty? :)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The last sentence I don't know what you mean?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean that some manufacturers trust their product so much that they give you a lifetime warranty.

This justs indicates how good that piece of hardware is.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I got ya. I just hate to build this stressed out PC I'm building and have it break lol

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

FWIW my Corsair GS800 is going strong on 6 years now. I've never kept one for so long before and now I'm wondering how long I can make it last. Before that I had a 580 watt from an off brand "HIPER" that prematurely crapped out, but it did at least come with a nice tool box that I still use today.

I think PSUs, especially those from reputable brands, are something that have stepped up in quality over the years.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

What about a bronze, evga 600w warranty 3 years.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

If don't need or want a modular PSU, I wouldn't hesitate on the EVGA. Like other's said, you never know how lucky or unlucky you'll be with a PSU, but it's hard to beat that price for one from a brand with a decent rep (even if power supplies aren't their specialty.)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The EVGA 600B is a mediocre power supply and the power supply is arguably the most important part of your computer and should never be cheaped out on.

Anyways, the lifespan of your power supply completely depends on the specific unit and cannot be reliably predicted. Some may fail early and need to be RMA'd while others may last far beyond the warranty period. Also to know if your wattage is enough we will need to see your full parts list.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

rma? hopefully this will last. not sure if it will. warranted is 3 years. I wanna oc i5 and oc vc 1060

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It will probably last 3-4 years. The fan will be the first thing to go most likely.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

What the 760 compared to the 970?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Are we talking GPU's?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

The G2 is a top of the line psu. The 750 G2 has a 10 year warranty, but it will last longer than that.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're concerned about lifespan/reliability, you really should look into a higher quality power supply.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a good quality power supply.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube