add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Skylake i7 or Broadwell-E i7 for streaming?

Whiteshadow001

39 months ago

I'm building a new rig for streaming, and I'm torn between going Skylake or Broadwell-E. I've been told numerous times to go Skylake as I won't see the difference in performance by going Broadwell-E. My question is, won't encoding technically be more efficient on Broadwell-E?

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

It's not a direct comparison... Both of those are chip series.... A skylake can crush a broadwell-E in games and many other tasks, but not all broadwell-E chips... You need to specify the chips, because some broadwells will simply destroy a skylake in encoding, while others get crushed by them in games... So streaming games requires balance. Skylake is usually the best option for a price that's not ridiculous.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

6700k, 6800k, 6850k. I want something that will encode better. I'm upgrading my current rig to the 4790k since it's on z97 and it'll be used as my gaming rig. The new rig will have all new parts, such as the CPU we are talking about now.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

well, as a strictly game pc, theres no reason at all to go past a 6700k... but for your use, it may be worth while for you to grab the 6800k... price goes up $100 plus motherboard price difference, which is not too bad for the 2 cores gained... you'll be losing some single thread performance, but not a ton... You can oc the 6800k to 4.0ghz pretty easily, though past that the power draw rises steeply, so i wouldn't push it too far... that 4.0ghz puts it much closer to the stock 6700k though, so you just closed the threaded performance gap. Id go with the 6800k if i was you. the 6850k just is not economical for a very similar performance level at a slightly lower power draw (a little less voltage needed, so an oc while capping out around the same as a 6800k is typically a little cooler).

6800k is my recommendation for you.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much for the help! I'll have the extra cash so I may spring for the 6850k, but you have helped me greatly! I may upgrade my current to a z170 setup eventually, but for right now the 4790k will suffice and it performs admirably.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya, there's very little reason to upgrade that 4790k at this point. I'd hang onto that for at least one more cpu release cycle till it has more benefits over the one you have now.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

it's pretty beastly, devils canyon is still solid

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

6 cores will help, I would go with the 5820k.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

i've heard others say that, but I really want to go broadwell-e

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

maybe a a 6800k, or a 6900k, but that's as high as you can go. a 6700k is good, if you want to save cash.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

is the encoding on the 6700k as good as the 6800 or 6850? the new rig will be strictly for streaming and content creation such as rendering videos and streaming to twitch

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The 6850 is a tiny increase in performance, for quite a bit of extra money, so I wouldn't do that if i were you. The 6800k is better at encoding, but the 6700k is still good, and better for gaming.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

No gaming will be done on this rig, my other rig will soon have a 4790k in it and will be used for gaming. This new rig with the 6800k will be for rendering videos and streaming with obs. I'll need more encoding performance.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case, stick with the 6800k, for if you REALLY want to splurge, go for a 6900k

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

6800k it is! cause I may have to get a second 1080 for my current build

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The 6850 is a tiny increase in performance, for quite a bit of extra money, so I wouldn't do that if i were you. The 6800k is better at encoding, but the 6700k is still good, and better for gaming.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to be that ******* and say Zen. ;)

Nah, just kidding, bench for waitmarks as always.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought about Zen,. but not enough info to defer me from intel.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

if they ever get around to releasing it it may be worth while to wait and see how it goes

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

gtx 1080

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

im going to be video editing as well. My wife may use it to do photo editing

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube