add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Cicero_

39 months ago

I want to know, what is the worst computer virus in your opinion? What's the worst you've had to deal with? Did it cause you to pay for antimalware or how did you solve it?

I would have to say my worst virus is probably Groovorio, which is a trojan virus disguising itself as a Chrome "extension". It hid in the registry and nothing I could find could get rid of it. It popped up ads when I looked stuff up and locked me out of my taskbar. I eventually had to get a new computer because I couldn't fix it.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

I had one that did this terrifying deathcore pig squeal out of random so it scared the **** out of you if you was in a game or something. That is really the worse I had to deal with.

I also had another that deleted anything you downloaded, well right after, and young Vagabond didn't happen to have a anti virus stupidly so what I did was put in a SD card, downloaded a anti virus to a SD Card and at the very last second possible pulled it out before it got deleted.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

That's good. My friend just lost his computer because he shares it with his dad who falls for the "sexy singles in your area" ads. They had so many viruses it was like the computer had AIDS.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 39 months ago
  • 2 points

McAfee. This antivirus is practically worse than a virus. I uninstalled it and replaced it with a free trial of Kaspersky today. Even if I don't end up keeping Kaspersky when the trial expires, I am never going back to McAfee.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Norton is worse... In many versions, it was impossible to fully remove once installed... Symantec even had to make a tool at one point... An anti root kit made for their own product lol

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Norton is worse... In many versions, it was impossible to fully remove once installed...

Yes there are many bad antivirus suites out there, but I've never used Norton so McAfee is the worst I've experienced.

Symantec even had to make a tool at one point... An anti root kit made for their own product lol

For the McAfee antivirus that's the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

In my experience Symantec's big business industry suite is okay, but anything with the Norton label on it is worse than McAfee - which is saying something since McAfee is freaking awful. I find that fact rather odd, because you'd think Symantec would use the same sort of solutions for their consumer vs business solutions, but they don't.

• 38 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed. Symantec Enterprise software has always been top notch... But man, that consumer end... :/

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh whoops thanks I was just on antimalware, I didn't realize I had my OT subforum open when I posted this.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the last virus/spyware I had was SpyShredder back in 2008. (I think) I used Spyware Doctor to fix most of the issues but I still had to use Malwarebytes "super delete" to remove some folders that were marked so I didn't have privileges.

That computer, Compaq Pressario with Windows XP, I used when I was 14 - 18 years old (2005 - 2009). I probably had 4 viruses/trojans on that computer over that time.

Since then, I've improved my browsing habits and use Linux a lot more so I've been virus free (at least as far as I could tell).

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I eventually had to get a new computer because I couldn't fix it.

Really.. why didn't you install windows (fresh clean installation)?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Well... I had to get a new one anyway because my motherboard sort of.. Broke. And it was a laptop.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

oh. ok.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Cryptolocker was the absolute worst. It encrypted all data on my computer. There was no way I was paying the ransom so just wiped the HDD and reinstalled windows. RIP 2-3 months of work. Definitely taught me to do backups more often.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Cih virus destroyed your bios... overwrote critical system files. Etc.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Virtumonde (also called Vundo) back in 2006-2007ish before any of the av companies had a fix (SUPERAntiSpyware was first with a stand alone tool). To keep my system running without losing important data, I had to re-done the kernel file and a few other system files to fully strip internet explorer out of the operating system... Basically using a working xp pro file and windows 2000 source code to edit, recompile, and then with a live Linux cd, swap out the files on a windows xp media center edition pc... That took almost 2 months to do... A few months later the fix came out, and I was able to buy more storage space to backup my files and do a clean reformat.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I got Cryptolocker a few years back. Had to wipe my entire hard drive. I didn't have any backups or anything. It was not a good time.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

That's not good. Be sure to have a good antivirus and very importantly a solid backup plan in the future.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I mostly use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes. I still don't have backups other than Windows restore points for more minor viruses, but I'm thinking of getting a NAS soon that I also use for backup storage.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows Defender isn't a very good antivirus. I'd get something better like Kaspersky, Avira, or BitDefender. Be sure to have a solid 3-2-1 backup plan which includes off site backups.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not my own experience. It's one of my best friend who encountered the worst computer malware last month. Her computer was infected by Zepto Ransomware which locked her important files and required her to pay certain money to get the files back. Here is a random article that introduce this threat: http://guides.uufix.com/encrypted-with-zepto-zepto-ransomware-removal-guide. My friend did not want to pay the money but couldn't find the best solution. And finally, she paid. I just wish that I would never meet a ransomware.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Not my own laptop but one that I cleaned had been hit enormously. It had a toolbar installed on the desktop and had the network card fried. I ran a variety of anti-malware (Malwarebytes, anti-adware etc). Malwarebytes managed to pick up over 2000 dangerous objects on the first pass and managed to pick up even more with each anti-malware program. Managed to get it almost back into fully running order but couldn't get the network card working again.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 10

HAH, GOT'EM!

But seriously though, I have no idea. I had the blessing of my dad being a network engineer/computer security guy so computer diligence was pounded into my head from an early age. That being said I have had the misfortune of downloading malware that tried to set malicious sites as my home page but thank gad nothing came of that thanks to ABP and noscript.

Nowadays I try to be very careful about what I download and try to get by with as few programs as possible, as usually the things that get me are malware bundled with utility software like DVD rippers or deleted file recovery programs. Unless it's open source or from a trustworthy company I don't touch it with a 10 foot pole now.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

and smash the old one.

You can still use the internal components of an HDD after it has failed, and even if it's infected with malware it's still safe. Like the spindle, platters, actuator, actuator arm, magnets, chassis, what not.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Hrmmm?

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Not any modern HDD - modern HDDs use heads flying 5 to 10 nanometers over extremely pristine platters spinning at 5400 to 7200 RPM. However it might be possible to hand build one of the older HDDs. Did you know that the height difference between the height the heads fly over the platters and the height of an average piece of hair is larger than the height difference between the clearance of a freeway overpass and the height of Mount Everest?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds like an old, classic "virus." Today's malware is all money oriented.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 2 points

when the hacker is on the inside

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube