add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need a 650W PSU!!

MagicLoogie
  • 43 months ago

Can someone please suggest a solid 650W PSU (gold or bronze) for $90 or less? I was informed the NEX does not have the best internal components.

I am looking to power the following build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $135.66 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $58.98 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card $265.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Cooler Master HAF 912 USB3.0 ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $78.49 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $969.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-07 16:14 EDT-0400

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

a EVGA 550(more then enough) G2/P2 or Corsair RM550(x or i). Or a 650 its your choice ;)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, you had mentioned those in my other build input thread.

I was wondering what you though of the XFX TS 550W that Super had suggested above. Is it comparable to the EVGA and Corsair that you recommend?

Also do you think that 550W would be sufficient if I decided to overclock or upgrade in a few years?

Thanks again!

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

the XFX TS 550W is a good psu yes but the oldest of the 3.

550W will be enough to overclock yes. gpu's and cpu's are getting more energy effecient with each generation so i would say yes it will be enough.

But again if you want to take the 650w thats your choice ;)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'll be going with the EVGA G2 550W based on what everyone has said. Thanks again for you help!

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

its a great psu. good luck ;)

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

TS isn't comparable to the G2 or the RMx, they are in a totally different league. You will have plenty of wattage, you would be lucky to draw 350 watts under full load with everything overclocked and realistically would be looking at less than 300 watts. Not that I would recommend getting two cards instead of upgrading and it doesn't support SLI but you would have enough wattage for two GTX 1060's to put it into perspective.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

This will hardly take more than 200W, so why 650W?

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I will preface this by stating this is my first build.

I was basing everything off of the projection that this site gave me when I had the parts selected in my system build (which was about 320W).

I was thinking of a 650W just for peace of mind and longevity.

would you suggest a 550W like Super did? And if so, which one?

Thanks for your reply.

• 43 months ago
  • 3 points

The site over-exaggerates the power draw, use real world tests to determine that.

You aren't getting yourself any more peace of mind or longevity by buying a PSU 3 times as powerful as needed, because many parts will just wear off faster - e.g. a fan in a 650W PSU will have higher starting RPM than a fan in a 450W PSU, which will make it deteriorate faster (and the fan is usually the first thing to die in a power supply).

EVGA G2 550W is extremely good if you want to pay its price: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the advice, that definitely makes sense.

Enrico had also suggested the EVGA G2 and it is similar in price to the NEX I had selected (~$79).

I think I will go with that after looking into it a bit more.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Do you have any other advice about my build?

• 43 months ago
  • -2 points

I would not be stingy on the PSU. Go for 650 watts with that build! Unless you absolutely need to stay under $90.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestion. That looks like an excellent 550w based on the reviews.

Do you think 550w is still sufficient even if I had decided to over clock this build in the future or upgrade a few years down the line?

Thanks for your reply.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube