add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My computer is trying to update!

tydowntyty
  • 45 months ago

Hello I just put windows 10 on a pc but now it is trying to update. I have heard about Microsoft trying to kill off win32 but I cant have this! I read they were going to do it through updates slowly killing it until it is obsolete. Updates just downloaded without my permission and my PC is asking to restart but I cant do that without chancing that update being in that list! What should I do?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of this should be done now that the free upgrade to Windows 10 has ended as of July 29, 2016. Even if your PC does upgrade to Windows 10 without your consent, you can revert back to your previous version of Windows via the settings panel.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought I said windows update not upgrade. Its over now anyway I'll just learn to live with it. Plus Microsoft is killing their own system. Their ui is a win32 program.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Win32 isn't being killed; not anytime soon, anyway. That's just a load of FUD. If Microsoft decided to kill off Win32 right now, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot, considering how much stuff runs on Win32. They're not so stupid to do something like that.

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Right but I don't quite know why I freaked out it was a VM anyway that I delete so I could to my use my VM server as a desktop. Anyway I lost care because if Microsoft did this I could sit back and watch the show as windows users swap to Linux. It would be awesome! Computer prices would go down $100-200, all the tech support would be for Linux, we would have more games for Linux, and hackers would have no clue how to get into someone's PC. At least that's how I see it. What do you think would happen if Microsoft went out of business?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

tl;dr: A Microsoft collapse would be catastrophic for many, many people. But yes, it would benefit Linux.

Okay. Let's say Microsoft went out of business right now, at this moment, in early September of 2016. We don't care why or how this happens, it just does. And for some reason, there's no way that anyone can purchase the rights to Windows and continue development. Windows is dead forever. This is what I imagine will happen.

Suddenly, millions and millions of systems running on Windows are left with no immediate upgrade path. This includes about 30% of web servers and countless military systems, all suddenly left vulnerable. Some organizations might remain stubbornly on Windows, but anyone foolish enough to keep a Windows machine on the Internet will get hacked to bits in the near future. Many organizations are forced to go through the expensive and time-consuming process of hiring people to migrate their systems to another OS. Those who use internal, proprietary Windows-native software must also hire programmers to rewrite their code, or otherwise get their programs running under virtual machines - either way, it's a costly proposition. Many organizations cannot handle the financial strain and collapse in their attempts to adapt. Clearly, an event of this magnitude has massive implications for everyone, whether directly or indirectly. It would cause huge sections of infrastructure to collapse and the world would, for a time, be in a terrible mess.

In the server space, Linux scoops up most of the fleeing Windows users, with BSD and macOS claiming some others. In the desktop space, significant portions of the PCPP community and other custom PC builders immediately move to Linux, as it's the most likely OS to run on their machines - others might adamantly stick with Windows, but it's at their peril. Linux user share among hardcore gamers climbs, increasing support from game developers. Other people will be looking variously at Android, Chrome OS (which I'm treating separately from Linux due to conventional Linux distros being very different), macOS, iOS, and Linux - all of which stand to gain significant user share from the collapse of Windows. Everyday PC manufacturers like Dell and HP suffer horrendously since most of their sales come from Windows PCs, and they'll lose a lot of money. Some of them collapse. The rest look to Chrome OS, Android, and Linux as their Windows replacements. Android quickly loses out to its sibling Chrome OS in the PC market, as the latter rolls out support for Android apps. Chrome OS, being idiot-proof and already with a fast-growing user share, skyrockets and becomes the world's most popular desktop OS. However, Linux seizes a huge portion of the gaming PC market, shutting Chrome OS out of that niche.

It's also possible that ReactOS could benefit hugely from all this, as it could suddenly get a lot of funding from companies that desperately want a Windows-compatible OS. So ReactOS is a wild card, an unknown variable in the equation.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube