add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus P5Q Mobo Upgrade Help Needed

FattyLumpkin
  • 79 months ago

I have an aging machine that I would like to make some upgrades to but am unsure about a couple things. Mainly, I don't know what SSD might be comparable with the motherboard in the machine. I've had difficulty even finding the motherboard when I search for it. The motherboard is a Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Chipset, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB. Is there a SSD you might recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

You should not have any issues with a quality SSD. Keep in mind though you may need to install your cleanly to ensure you have fairly optimal performance as your BIOS needs to be in AHCI for optimal functions of the SSD to be enabled.

My recommendation would the SanDisk Extreme II. Depending on you needs 120 or 240. 240 is of course better. It is a great drive with quality firmware which is important in regards to reliability and overall performance. It features a very good controller that is optimized great read and write performance regardless of the workload type.

You may also want to check out this article for some insight into optimization.

http://pcdiy.asus.com/2013/08/3-easy-ways-to-create-extra-space-on-an-ssd/

Hope this helps! Enjoy the rest of your day.

• 79 months ago
  • 1 point

Asus P5Q Pro webpage: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q_PRO/

The chipset on that mobo provides native SATA support so just about any current standard SSD should be compatible. However, keep in mind that the P45 chipset maxes out at theoretical 3 Gb/s.

You failed to mention operating system that the SSD will hold, if any.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube