add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is This The Right PSU?

mgillett
  • 43 months ago

This is my first PC build and I don't want to cheap out on my power supply, but I also don't want to spend any unnecessary cash on the PSU if I could allocate that elsewhere in my build. I am relatively new to PC building so my question is this - Is this the right PSU for my build, or is there a better option for me? Any suggestions/help with this question or my build in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $285.75 @ shopRBC
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $110.00 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $44.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $74.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $84.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card PNY GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Video Card $329.99 @ PC Canada
Case NZXT S340 - Designed by Razer ATX Mid Tower Case $114.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg Canada
Case Fan Cougar Dual-X 73.2 CFM 140mm Fan $4.99 @ Memory Express
Case Fan Cougar Dual-X 73.2 CFM 140mm Fan $4.99 @ Memory Express
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1175.67
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $1145.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-10 05:17 EDT-0400

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks good to me - reasonable wattage, recognised brand, good reviews. Go for it! On a side note I would change out your motherboard to a non-Z170 chipset because you are paying for overclocking you can't use with the 6600 non-K. It would still all work together if you stayed with what you have but you may be able to save a little bit of money.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it be worthwhile to get the Z170 just for the option of upgrading in a year or two to an unlocked CPU? Or by that time would there be new hardware released which would force me to upgrade the CPU and motherboard? Do you have any suggestions on a motherboard that would fit my build better? Thanks for your help.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

With Kaby Lake just around the corner I would say that it is unlikely to be worth it to get a Z170 board for upgrade path. With the upcoming Zen and Kaby Lake hopefully CPUs will decrease in price because of their competition, and will be newer with longer support too.

With that said, taking a look at PC Part Picker Canada (It defaulted to this when I used the link so I assume you are using Canadian prices?) you'll only save about $10 at best which is a really negligible amount.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think I should wait for the new Intel release before purchasing anything? I just read online the release will happen sometime september 2016 so I don't mind holding off if it means better value for my dollar.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Zen is meant to be coming at the end of the year, but it will likely only be easily able to get around Q1 2017, and Kaby lake is meant to be a similar time frame.

In this case I would be tempted to say maybe, but you can fall into the trap of always waiting for the next new thing (which I myself find myself in frequently), like once the new CPUs are out there will be talk of new graphics cards or storage or something else.

If you are happy to hold off, I would say do, but remember - don't hold out forever ;)

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldnt bother. Each new cpu release has only resulted in a slight increase in performance ~5%. Also, Kaby Lake is supposed to be compatible with z170, h170 chipset. Its just that you will need to update the bios.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

you could get a CX450M its a great psu for the price.

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

yea i was suprised to.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube