add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair H60 on mini ITX -> fan orientation

cheroka4

40 months ago

Yesterday I did my first ever build! Pretty excited about it, will post it for sure once I receive my GPU and install it (and do the cable management)

Here is the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $69.98 @ OutletPC
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $159.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $79.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $167.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $93.49 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB GAMING Video Card $199.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Cooler Master Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case $38.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1140.28
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $1130.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-10 08:29 EDT-0400

My question is regarding the fans for the CPU cooler, because I am not 100% sure if what I did is the correct approach.

• I removed the stock 120mm fan from the Cooler Master Elite 110
  • Replaced it by the one Corsair provided on the H60, which is also 120mm, on the exact same spot.
  • The fan orientation is blowing air out of the case

Also, I mounted the PSU with its fan facing down, which means it is blowing air on top of the mobo, and the CPU (kind of pointless I guess?)

Any comments on if I did the right thing? Haven't tested CPU temps or anything like that yet

Comments

• 40 months ago
  • 2 points

The fan orientation is blowing air out of the case

You should mount the fan to push air into the case through the radiator so there is ventilation inside the case.

Also, I mounted the PSU with its fan facing down, which means it is blowing air on top of the mobo, and the CPU (kind of pointless I guess?)

As for the PSU, the PSU doesnt blow air, it intakes air. But that is the correct way with the fan facing down towards the motherboard helping to get out the warm air outside the case. You would mount the psu with fan facing up if you were using an air cooler.

• 40 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

Will change it then when I install the GPU, and pretend it never happened :D

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube