add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Power Supply help! First time builder.

ZeroAffex
  • 43 months ago

Sorry to bother you guys, I was in another thread yesterday about choosing a mobo. I got it picked out (Yay!), with my build sitting just under $2000 and... dying inside but hoping once I assemble my first PC the amount of debt I put myself in will feel a little better LOL!

My case comes with 2 fans. 1-140 MM and 1-200 MM. I am going to place the stock 200MM up Top and have my 4 white LED light fans going 2-front, 1-bottom and 1-back to help add light inside my case. Hopefully.. I know that's ALOT of fans going on but I am not using Liquid Cooling on my CPU and have plans to OC. My case comes with a Fan Hub to connect all my PVM's to then connect to my Asus board, which then Asus will control my fans accordingly? Really hope it's that simple! Sorry off topic! Lets get back on track.

OK so with all these fans (4-140MM/1-200MM) running and my GPU/CPU/ect. I am concerned about my Wattage. I am looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 850W . It's the cheapest Platinum grading I can find in my budget sitting around $140ish, which is already wayyy overblown. Wanted a $1400-1500 machine... Is this 850W going to be enough for the demands of my PC? As well as future demands like 2 1070 GPU's or 32GB RAM in a year or two? This is a future proof build so I don't want to pull a PSU to updrade one later, rather get a good one now right off the bat! If you wouldn't mind, take a look at my build if you can and let me know your thoughts.

Note: I want nice cables, sleeves and that. Example is I really love the Seasonic Prime 750w Titanium, everything about it is classy and would go oh so nice with my build but it's too expensive.. sad face

SO heres my build, haven't named it yet! But this is 99% final.

(UPDATE: See link below for my build specs!)

Thank you for your time! It means alot to me! Can't wait to solve this PSU and place my order. Have a nice day!

-ZA

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/ZeroAffex/saved/#view=MtkLkL

Here's a cleaner look at my system. Decided to take the time and get everything in PCPP lol Says 350W is what I am looking at, I think I may go down to a 750W and definitely think I am good for 850W unless you guys think otherwise? Like I said, just trying to future proof a machine for myself! Thanks for your time.

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

This would run fine on a good 400W PSU, with room to spare. The most interesting units start at 550W, so you can pick something like EVGA G2 550 or Corsair RMx 550W for this - you will only use 300W at most.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

750W is enough. And the SuperNOVA P2 is an excellent choice for your build at your own price.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! That's good news. As a newbie here I was nervous running so many fans. Honestly, I hope my case doesn't take off and fly away when I start her up lool Thanks for the speedy reply though, really appreciate it. Just didn't want to spend money on something that won't work or spend more money than I need to. Have a nice day!

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, you won't even need that many fans. You could just get this case and only one more fan (it already comes with a fan extra over the Enthoo Pro). It also has a led strip built in and lots of more features that will come in handy. I really recommend it! Youtube video review

Also, the RAM is a tiny bit overpriced. GEiL Super Luce RAM is something you may have never heard of, but it's great. It's reliable, cheap and delivers high clockspeeds for its price and has top leds (excellent for your white build). You won't even see the sides of it which are black because of all the white leds in it (sounds weird but is true).

[comment deleted]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello everyone! Thanks for all the nice replies, I really appreciate the time spent on my post! Here is my build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gVmh3F

It's 100% purchased and on its way to me, as soon as Monday! Pretty excited! As you see, I went with the Evga 850W G2 and saved some money over the Platinum I had originally thought of grabbing. Honestly, I know it must be way overkill Lol. I have an old Alienware X51 running a i-53330 3gh with a GTX 660 TI on top of everything else with a 200W External PSU. So.. Yea 850 for what I have is way overdone, but this a future proof build. Maybe they'll make a "teleport adapter" that plugs into my computer and allows me to teleport to someone elses computer or something lmao.

But yea, I am 100% positive 500W would be ample, even with overclocking. I was still under 400W when I added multiple GPUs, SSD's, ect on pcpp. But I can sleep good knowing that I am ready for the next high wattage gizmo!

As far as the RAM goes, I did look into GEil's but they weren't much cheaper (4-5 usd give or take) and I know more about Corsair, having used them before. It was nothing against GEil, I am sure they are wonderful, its just one of those scenarios where if you used something before and know what to expect, then its worth a few extra bucks to keep it that way.

I trimmed cost as I was at over $2000 initially, I swapped monitors and the one for 130 actually seems better than the one I was going to get for 180. Changed the BluRay drive out because it looks totally ridiculous right now to play BR's on PC with the limited software, saving $40. Win 10 chaps my hide I swear. Why can't they just give us Windows Media Player back or even WMCenter. Uh.. Digress here. Let's see, oh and saved money on PSU like I said. I felt better going $300 over my budget than $400-$500 lol

Oh and lastly, call me crazy but I like the Pro over the Luxe Case! I like the nice venting system on the front of the Pro series, the Luxe they placed a panel over it so you have this black outline and the hard edges in the design itself make it unappealing to me. The Pro just seems to flow better for me visually. It boiled down to preference and I decided to get the Pro and just tinker with NZXT lighting strips inside of it along with those white led fans. Lightning was not a deal breaker, I would of chose the Pro even if it didn't have a Window Panel lol I just like the style. It's retro-futuristic!

So that's everything. I'll be posting my build and showing how a new PC builder gets it done, if at all lol Why I went out of the way to grab warranties on the Mobo and CPU just in case I ruin them during installation or during overclocking. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again guys! Hope you all have a wonderful rest of your week! Farewell!

-ZA

• 42 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck on your build. You forgot to add an ssd though. I can appreciate a hybrid drive, I used one for years, but they don't measure up. Even a 120gb ssd for your OS and main programs would be a night and day difference and only cost you $40. Think about it. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube