add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Extreme Cheapskate

vb_ilya
  • 45 months ago

Alrighty so I got my first ever PC! YAY!!! For some reason it didnt come to me that the OS was gonna be 100 bucks extra, and after blowing all of my money on the parts, (Which wasn't a lot in the first place) I sat down and became sad. I need help guys. I have an old computer with a Vista Home Premium license key on it... and I harvested a hard drive from it too. I was wondering if there was a way to get Vista legit with the product key, and then upgrade to Windows 7 for free. I am dual-booting Ubuntu, but I hope that I wont have to settle for Linux, because I have a lot of Windows Specific software I use a lot. Help Please?

Comments

• 45 months ago
  • 2 points

Download and install windows 10. Don't activate it. You can use it unactivated for a bit before it makes you activate, so you have a little more time to save up for it

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you guys! You helped a lot!

• 45 months ago
  • 0 points

You can get a legitimate Windows license for about $80, but you can't really get anything legitimate for cheaper than that (and piracy is a very bad thing).

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

So it's not possible to transfer the license from my old PC to my new one?

• 45 months ago
  • 1 point

Not if it is an OEM license.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube