add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

HTPC build advice/recommendations on my build

JoneStar

39 months ago

I want to assemble a home theater PC to view high-definition content (Netflix, Amazon video, Sling TV streaming) using a wireless connection as wired is not an option. I have a Windows 7 Home Premium installation disc but can use a Linux distro instead. Other features I want would be to view OTA (Over-the-Air) channels using an internal/external TV tuner (USB preferred) with DVR functions. No gaming would be performed other than to play Sims 4. In my build, I did not include a dedicated graphics card as I am not sure if one is completely needed or not. A Blu Ray drive would be nice but not necessary. I already have basic peripherals such as the mouse, keyboard, speakers, monitor (1080p, HDMI/DVI, internal speakers), and I'll add a sound card obviously. I want surround sound 5.1. Nothing spectacular but nothing insufficient. Also, you'll notice I did not add fans and the power supply may or may not be enough. Thank you. My budget is $300, though slightly more is acceptable. Feel free to make any changes to accommodate for a decent, budget HTPC that will last for years.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rTNHGf

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rTNHGf

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a big case for HTPC. I used a full size case for my HTPC for a while and didn't like it.

I finally made one with this case and I love it. This is close to my HTPC. I didn't put a big hard drive or an optical drive in mine. I use it for streaming video, twitch, etc, and as a steam link to my main rig. M.2 ssd. On board wifi. On board 8 channel HD audio. A little more than what you wanted to spend, but getting a lot more in return.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor $56.95 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus B150I PRO GAMING/WIFI/AURA Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $122.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $33.98 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP600NS34 128GB M.2-2242 Solid State Drive $45.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.89 @ OutletPC
Case Inwin BP655.FH200B Mini ITX Desktop Case w/200W Power Supply $44.33 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $369.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-15 13:09 EDT-0400
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the extremely helpful response. So with the motherboard supporting on-board Wi-Fi, there would be no need for an external network adapter stick?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

you would not need any wifi card or stick with the board Huge suggested since it is built in already.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep. Everything is on board already. Blue tooth, wifi, HD audio, even your ssd will basically be part of your motherboard with the M.2 slot. No external outputs, no drive trays used, etc. Your pci-e slot will even be left open if you ever want to add anything.

There is also an 80 dollar motherboard option that would keep everything but the HD audio. It brings the build down to 330 dollars. That would make it cheaper than the build you listed and you could add the sound card later like you mentioned.

That motherboard is right here and it is actually the one I own. I don't use the audio ports, I always use the HDMI cable.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wTnG3C/msi-motherboard-h110iproac

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you again. I understand that using the power supply that comes with the case you listed (as any other psu with any case) is not recommended. That leads me to the question of what power supply unit and how many watts would I specifically need for this build? In addition to that, would the inclusion of a dedicated gpu (graphics card) be necessary for streaming and recording my high-definition content?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube