add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

USB Headers on case

FrankV01
  • 88 months ago

I'm working on this build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HKr0

Apparently, while the case I selected has USB 3.0 headers (on the front) the motherboard only supports USB 2.0. (there are a couple of USB 3.0 ports on the back).

Can I leverage the USB 2.0 header and plug the cases' USB 3.0 plug in there?

(Please excuse me if I'm not using the right terms or not making sense.)

Regards, Frank

Comments

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

So far, my research has indicated that the USB 2.0 motherboard plug, doesn't support USB 3.0 -- the plug interfaces are different...

Can anyone confirm, though?

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, the usb 3.0 on the motherboard differ from usb 2.0 and you need to buy special adapters if you really want to enable your front 3.0 plugs. First, you need this to connect it to the front cable then this to pass through to your back panel

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for replying.

I actually found this which I think is similar in concept. http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SATA-Cables-Internal-Cable/dp/B009BBD3V2/

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

That's right, but you are going to run at usb 2.0 speed

• 87 months ago
  • 1 point

Better than no USB! :-)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube