add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How Future Proof Is this?

Antatious

39 months ago

Hello everyone. First post here. I've been lurking and planning a build for the last year or so. From what i've seen, this is a great community that is full of knowledge. I feel bad- like I should be helping someone else before asking for advice. I promise to contribute.

Without getting into too much detail-

-money is an issue -will be using a 1080p 144hz monitor -I want to be able to play AAA games on max settings with at least 60fps

I hear a lot of talk about how the RX480 will optimize Direct X 12 really well. Dunno anything about that- but how far into the future do you think this build will acquire that last point I have? Or will it not even achieve those stats on current titles? http://pcpartpicker.com/list/mN3n6X

I am trying to compare the pros and cons of waiting and saving up for something like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WpZCd6 or going with the AMD build sooner? Any input is appreciated.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, forget about future proofing. Nothing is future proof. The simple rule it get the best components you can afford at the time you buy and by default they are more then likely to last longer then spending less.

So going with that and your build being around $750 I would suggest....

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $198.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $76.98 @ Newegg
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $39.99 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $44.99 @ Best Buy
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB NITRO+ 4G Video Card $226.99 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $66.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA BQ 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $760.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 08:42 EDT-0400
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You believe that build will max current games like GTA 5, Battlefield 1, Fallout 4 at a minimum of 60 fps?

That first statement is hard for me to swallow. Why not plan for future proofing? Not even to a degree? A year? Two years? If I need to forget about future proofing, I guess I am asking a question that no one else can answer but myself- how nice of a system do I want? And that is a 1200-1300$ 1070 build.

Thanks for your input.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You believe that build will max current games like GTA 5, Battlefield 1, Fallout 4 at a minimum of 60 fps?

At 1080p, yes. The RX 480 is capable of playing at 1440p, 1080p is not a problem for it.

http://wccftech.com/review/xfx-rx-480-4gb-review/

That first statement is hard for me to swallow. Why not plan for future proofing? Not even to a degree? A year? Two years? If I need to forget about future proofing, I guess I am asking a question that no one else can answer but myself- how nice of a system do I want? And that is a 1200-1300$ 1070 build.

You can plan for the future, but save for a very few times, you are always going to find that more powerful hardware will have a longer life of usefulness. So it simply follows that you should get the most powerful hardware you can afford when you decide to buy.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh wow. Thanks for that article. I was absolutely under the wrong impression of the RX series. Why not go with the 8gig version though?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, you could go for the 8GB version if you want to spend a little more. I would look that way if you may look to play at 1440p in the future. If you see yourself staying at 1080p you are most likely going to see little benefits at that resolution from added VRAM.

You may also want to consider a GTX 1060. I would look at a bunch of benchmarks for both cards as see which one appeals to you more. Both are great video cards and there is really no wrong answer in that choice.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

a good build would be the skylake I5 with a 480 or the 1060 gpu. Future proof? You could jump up to the I7 if you want to make it last as long as possible and throw in a 1070 for the gpu (1080 sounds like it's out of your price range, and i wouldn't consider that future proofing but for only for today really, since in future you can just keep the cpu and replace the gpu when new ones come out) So if investing for future, i'd go more for the 1200 range but everyone has different budgets which is what it mostly comes down to.

You mentioned you had a monitor. So I assume you have a PC now? Maybe you can reuse some of those parts today to get the total cost lower, then add other things on later as you get more cash. ie: case, psu (maybe), old HDD etc.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I do have a build that I will be repurposing for my girlfriend. I am going to be building a totally separate PC. It is looking more and more like an i5 k verson with a 1070 and large power supply is what I want. Then I have the option to overclock and SLI down the road.

I would rather have overkill for 1080p right now, and move into more appropriate hardware levels as more demanding titles come out.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess my question is: If my hardware achieves 100 fps, will I see that on a 144hz monitor? Rather than being stuck at 60fps with a 60hz monitor?

Thanks for the heads up on that CPU cooler.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube