add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ordering more parts soon....One final inspection

DPRutledge

39 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/knDHGf

Hey all,

I have posted multiple times in this forum with different parts on this list to try and find the best that I can afford. I have done some research and believe I have found a pretty decent little powerhouse.

CPU - I chose this CPU because as far as performance is concerned, when it came to AAA games, the i5 did outperform the i3. However, when it came to games I will be playing, which are mostly single player FPS and RPG games, the performance ratio was a little closer together. Since I don't plan on streaming or editing while I am gaming, and will only be recording for my Youtube Ministry, I think an i3 will do just what I need it to.

Motherboard - Admittedly, this is my weakest knowledge area when it comes to computers. What I read from reviews though seems to indicate that this board will do just what I need it to do. If there are any suggestions for a different motherboard less than $100, then I am open to suggestions.

RAM - ....seriously.....it's RAM at 2400....need I say more?

Storage - I am going with the SSD for installation of my OS for lightning fast boots and the HDD for storage of my games and other various files.

Video Card - I was very blessed to find this beauty of a card on Newegg, and it matches the color scheme!!! After the computer case, this is the next part I am planning to order. It should be able to do anything I want it to at over 60fps at 1080p, which is fine by me

Case - I....freaking....ADORE this case. it was between this one or the Corsair 500R. While the Corsair 500R had better cable management and I believe 2 more pre-installed fans, this one is about $30 cheaper and....I don't know, there's something about it. If anyone can convince me to go with the Corsair 500R, though, I might consider going up to it

Power Supply - This is my second weakest area, knowledge wise, on the computer. I know that 80+ certified Gold is pretty decent (...I think...), and that fully modular is preferred over semi- or non-, so that's why I went with that.

Optical Drive - I got it for installation of Windows OS, some DVDs and a couple games I still have on disk. This has already been purchased and is sitting on my desk at home as I type this.

Operating System - Windows 7. A guy at work has several copies of different OS and he offered this one to me for free. Bit of a no brainer.

Wireless Adapter - Some research showed that this card had pretty good range and is a pretty nice set up, so I figured eh, what the hey. I got another one, but a buddy of mine needed it for his build so I gave it to him.

Monitor - I can't afford much in this aspect, but from what I have been told, a 1080p monitor at 60hz, combined with my GPU, should get me over 60fps.

Keyboard - I just need a basic keyboard and mouse, and these seem to come highly recommended.

Next thing to buy on my list is the case, then the GPU. Any suggestions? Comments? (...I'll regret this...) Smart aleck remarks?

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

PSU isn't great and the RAM won't run at that speed on a B150:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor $110.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $69.98 @ Newegg
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $53.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $37.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Dual Video Card $219.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $87.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $82.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $19.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM 3-Pack 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus VX228H 21.5" 60Hz Monitor $109.99 @ Newegg
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $19.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $919.65
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $889.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 13:45 EDT-0400

I think your monitor is boring, and the display shouldn't be an afterthought, but to each their own. I would get an IPS display, instead, or a VA panel at the very least: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/q2FXsY/benq-monitor-gw2265hm

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Can you recommend a monitor like that at around $150? Maybe a better Motherboard at about $100 range?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you said you play a lot of FPS, I think a 144hz would be ideal and a 1060 will handle it well: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/PmyFf7/acer-monitor-umfg6aab01

That's $30 over-budget, however. This is maybe the best bang for the buck at 25" IPS: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/dLkwrH/acer-monitor-umkg7aa001

You could also try a 21:9 ultrawide: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wNcMnQ/lg-monitor-25um58p

But many people feel 21:9 isn't fantastic until you hit the 29" mark.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm....I do like the idea of the ultra wide Monitor......

Any recommendations for the Motherboard?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I think your motherboard is fine. It's a decent price for a well-reviewed B150. As long as you're OK with not being able to upgrade to an unlocked CPU or running faster RAM, it's a good pick.

If you wanted to save money, you could go for a board with integrated wireless: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/x2mxFT/asrock-motherboard-h110mitxac

You'll only be able to run single-channel RAM on the H110, but otherwise won't see much of a performance difference.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The price is decent, and I love that mine has white LEDs. A happy accident for sure. I talked to someone about integrated wireless, and they seemed to think that was a bad idea, but I'm really starting to get the idea that it's more based on a person's opinion than actual what is good vs what is not.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey this is a little more expensive, but one of the best IPS monitors out there right now. The 23" is $164, and the 25" and 27" are both on sale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1IAL7W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

So, I'm curious....what is the advantage of an IPS monitor?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

There are a million different opinions out there on it, and I'm no expert on it. I did a little research when trying to decide between TN and IPS, and I found that IPS will have a better screen colors and is a newer/better technology.

I'm sure that doesn't help much, but if you decide on an IPS, the one I linked is great.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I did see that one and I am considering it, but I know the one I was linked to further up was an IPS as well, 2 more inches and about 10 dollars cheaper, so I'm looking between the two for advantages/disadvantages.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube