add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please Heavy Critique this build

ashaikh95

39 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/dRgmD8

I would really appreciate it if yall could give me advice on what to change if anything

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

What are you looking use this PC for?

Also, Samsung 850 EVO > 840 EVO :p

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advice!

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you sure you need 32gb of RAo juM? You won't need that expensive of a psu. I'd recommend usb disc drive unless you use it a ton. Those look like some loud fans for not much gain but idk too much about fans (hard tdge without much standard).

What are you making this for? as that would help determine parts needed better

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Im in engineering so its to run engineering programs and gaming

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

id say 16gb would probably get you by just fine. Find a 2x8gb set for now. If it turns out you need more just buy another 2x8 set. Saves a lot of money up front especially if you dont know what amount of RAM the programs need (and for gaming 8-16gb is pretty much max needed atm).

I would not buy those fans. If you put the kraken on the front then just put the included 200 on the top and you should be fine. If you put the kraken on the top then you cant put 2x200 on the front (and one is already included). So really you wont be able to put those fans anywhere good. saves $40

as others mentioned 850 evo faster and cheaper than the 840.

that psu was just way overpriced. plat really doesnt give you much at all over gold. if they were the same price id say go for the plat, but they are not even close. I selected a few here and it should just autosort to the one that is currently the least expensive. EVGA G2 and Corsair RMx are both excellent choices.

and again id recommend no dvd drive (or at least get a usb external one) but thats up to you

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $114.99 @ B&H
Motherboard MSI Z170A GAMING M7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $204.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $66.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $94.00 @ B&H
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $449.98 @ NCIX US
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case $115.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply *Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1555.69
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1535.69
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-17 13:27 EDT-0400

Shaved off a ton of money without really any performance loss. Now you can either pocket the cash or put it back into things like larger ssd, gtx 1080, new monitor, etc.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you SO much for this critique. I really appreciate this help!

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

np. happy to help

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

If you'd use a cheaper SSD and cooler, 16 GB Ram, you could take a 1080 instead which is a much better investment...

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thats a good point

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the place you can save the most money is the MOBO. Z170A Krait has all the features I would imagine you want from the M7 at about $80 cheaper. Agreed with above posters on saving $$$ on RAM and PSU as well. I upgraded the SSD to a 500GB 850 series bc it was only $20 more and also upgraded you to the base version Strix 1080. Also you probably don't need all those fans since the case has a front and rear included--the X61 is obviously plenty for the CPU and the GPU is also fan cooled. I took them out bc I think they're overkill for the system but of course you can put them back in. All in all greatly increased future-proof potential at no loss of performance loss for $50 cheaper. Don't forget the wifi card, but even then you're only at $1750. If you swap out that red RAM for some white sticks you can have a really sick white-and-black themed setup.

Good luck!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $114.99 @ B&H
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $124.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $66.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $156.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.99 @ SuperBiiz
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1080 8GB STRIX Video Card $629.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (White) ATX Full Tower Case $115.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $104.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.88 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1728.59
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-19 15:54 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube