add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Building home computers for locals

HaffaWaffle

39 months ago

I am getting a parts list together for a basic home desktop build to use for when local people in my area want a good computer to do the basic internet browsing and netflix streaming. This list should include a monitor, mouse & keyboard for the people who don't already have those in their house yet. Remember this build is NOT for gaming and only for basic home use. I want this computer to be reliable and responsive when the customers use it for their daily tasks and have the ability to install a low-end video card if their kids want to play minecraft or other low-poly games. I have come up with this list to start off with, I just want some opinions with specified parts in case there are any faults or parts that might cause a major malfunction down the road.

What do you think?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/PNfBLD

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

You forgot ram lol.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I switched boards before posting... RAM is there now

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

ok. Look at this build. This has the i3 which will be a little bit better. http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cq6z6X

i put windows on here cause i dont know if you have a way to get copy for a good price but here ya go!

Good luck on your builds

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I might be mixing the two lists together. Trying to stay under $500.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

ok sounds good

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

nice build though

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's another higher-budget take:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G4500 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $72.25 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B150M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $59.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory GeIL EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $32.99 @ Newegg
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $37.99 @ NCIX US
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $24.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $88.88 @ OutletPC
Monitor AOC i2267Fw 22.0" 60Hz Monitor $99.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $14.49 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $515.55
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $475.55
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 14:36 EDT-0400

I don't think many, if any, of these people will ever upgrade to a dGPU. The initial investment in the G4400 gives you Intel HD 510, which is a lot weaker than Intel HD 530, let alone the fact that it's running the integrated graphics on single-channel RAM. I don't know the locals, but I have a strong hunch that most will stick with the original setup. Go G4500 for the better iGPU and B150 for dual-channel. That'll be more than enough for Minecraft and other browser-based or lighter titles.

I can see where reliability with the HDD comes in, but I don't think modern computers should be built without a SSD. Without one, the layperson will use it and complain that it's slower than their phone, laptop, etc. It's such a huge performance boost in daily use, I would hesitate to use a HDD. Let them add one if they need the space (many won't).

Finally, I would either not include a monitor at all and let them use this to run through their TV or other display, or else give them a 1080p display. 900p is sad. 900p TN is sadder. The money toward a 1080p IPS display is a noticeable upgrade.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. This helped a lot. I will probably just remove the monitor until I ask if they already have one, if they don't ill just add the 22" AOC. I have switched the mobo, ram and cpu and I am still under the budget. The only reason I havnt added an SSD is because everyone around my local area is farmers and they are either working with an old refurbed dell optiplex or something like it. Thanks for your help!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube