add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need a budget gpu to run my 4k monitor so my other can do the heavy lifting

jelko

39 months ago

Current setup:

i7 5820k 32gb ram r9 390 8gb 750watt psu gold

I was hoping to not spend over $100USD to get another gpu to run a 4k monitor I just got. I primarily edit video and pictures.. I was thinking like a gtx 750 or r7 260x? considered an rx 460 keep in mind I only have a 750watt psu to run it all. As of right now I don't think my psu fan even turns on when overclocking which I like. So there may be some head room - never gauged the wattage though.

decisions, decisions.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You can run a 4K monitor with a GTX 750 or R7 260X but don't expect to be gaming. You might be able to browse the Internet and maybe watch a video and that'll be pretty much the extent of it. Trying to play a game at 4K on a GTX 750 or R7 260X will pretty much be literally impossible.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I had text in there saying I will not be gaming on this build but have found that when you specify you won't be gaming, no one cares.

The GPU is just to run the 4k signal to the monitor. I have an r9 390 that would be my main gpu.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright then. A GTX 750 or R7 260X should be absolutely fine! Sorry for the mix-up.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Can't you just enable the onboard graphics on the i7 and use that? I assume your BIOS allow you to do that - mine does. OTOH just plug it in to the 390.

Running a game on one monitor and the windows desktop on a second monitor (even 4K) plugged into the same GPU makes very little difference to gaming performance.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

yyyyeah... i just decided to buy a 1070 :)

will be selling the r9 390 :) ...so long red team.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube