add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this a good value build for $650?

zabycakes

39 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/zabycakes/saved/PLHxrH

This is my first computer build so I'm trying to keep things pretty simple. I'm using it for light photo editing (photoshop elements) and light gaming (Civ5, minecraft, etc.) and Netflix and general school/online stuff. I think I should be okay with the integrated graphics because I'm not going to be doing any heavy lifting in that regard. The only part in the build that I wouldn't want to change is the CPU because I like that particular i3 chip even though a cheaper kind of CPU would probably work for my needs.

I just want a computer that will be decently fast and last for five years or so. Is there anything I'm missing? I'm fine with the price but is there anything I picked that's just overkill that I could cheap out on more? Also I'm using my old monitor/keyboard/etc. so this is the whole list.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Since you are not going to OC, you can drop the aftermarket cooler as the CPU comes with a stock. If it's just light editing or any other content creating, 8 GB of RAM should still be fine.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions!

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

I would also recommend getting at least a low end graphics card, even if gaming isn't a priority. Photoshop benefits from GPU acceleration.

If you take this guy's advice, it would save you around $80, which is almost enough to buy something like a 750 Ti, or maybe even a used 950.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I think I'm going to do exactly that, thanks for the advice.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Also kind of irrelevant since you seem to have already bought the part, but you got completely ripped off with that SSD. :S

You could have gotten something like this for only $5 more, with double the capacity. 120GB SSDs in general just aren't a good deal.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube