add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Second Skylake Build - Need Clarification

Jvo124

39 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jvo124/saved/2MK8dC

Here is my second build. My first one I'm giving away to a relative in need - http://pcpartpicker.com/b/ZrFdnQ

1) In regards to the motherboard. I've read that it has wifi built in but is it pretty bad? I have an ac-66 wireless card but the NZXT Manta doesn't have a PCI-E slot for this. Anyway around this so I can still utilize the wifi card? Any other recommendations for a gaming mobo with wifi?

2) Does the NZXT Kraken already come with thermal compound on it, or do I need to get it?

3) Any recommendations on some quiet replacement fans? I was thinking 2 Noctua NF-A14PPC-2000

4) If I am reusing the m.2 from my old build, I assume it should boot up windows 10 and all my information or do I need to update any bios/drivers with the new mobo and components?

5) ASUS Strix 1070 opinions? I have the 980ti, which is fairly quiet and no coil whine. Any better performing options out there that are just as quiet and still have the RGB option?

Thanks for the help!

JV

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The itx boards only have one pcie slot and that is usually saved for the video card. That is why they put a lot of that other stuff on the board, wifi, bluetooth, hd audio, etc. I have 2 of those asus z170i boards and the wifi works fine. I am on my 5ghz dual channel right now.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, I edited the parts list. My local Microcenter doesn't have the ASUS Z170I. I was looking at this one instead that got bad reviews for wifi Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI LGA 1151 mITX.

What board would you suggest other than the Gigabyte z710n and ASUS z170i that will still fit my m.2?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Those 2 are the best outside of going to a asus maximus. I would say the asus z170i is the best itx board under 200 dollars. MSI makes one, but their M.2 is in a terrible spot and cripples it's capacity.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

1) Asus WIFI should be fine. This is one of the better Z170 mini itx boards.

2) Kraken already comes with good thermal paste so drop the arctic silver which honestly isn't that great (conductive and 200 hour setting time)

3) Any recommendations on some quiet replacement fans? I was thinking 2 Noctua NF-A14PPC-2000

I would go with the PWM noctua fans, you still need fans with good static pressure and this also means it will be louder.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Y9xfrH/noctua-case-fan-nfa14industrialppc2000pwm

Any fan spinning at 2000 rpms will not be quiet, but you can run it at lower rpms with a PWM setting and it will be fine.

4) If I am reusing the m.2 from my old build, I assume it should boot up windows 10 and all my information or do I need to update any bios/drivers with the new mobo and components?

It should boot, but you will have to install drivers. I would do a clean installation of windows to remove all the unused trash which will be left from older hardware.

5) ASUS Strix 1070 opinions? I have the 980ti, which is fairly quiet and no coil while. Any better performing options out there that are just as quiet and still have the RGB option?

I don't see the point of upgrading from a 980ti to a 1070...

My favorite GTX 1070 would be the EVGA FTW

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Pshj4D/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-ftw-gaming-acx-30-video-card-08g-p4-6276-kr

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response. Since my local Microcenter doesn't have the ASUS z170i in stock I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI LGA 1151 mITX which got bad reviews on wifi. Any other recommendations?

The 980ti I am giving to my relative with my old build.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a gigabyte too and I haven't had issues with wifi.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube