add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need opinions on first build compatibility and other things

GamingX10

39 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YDz4M8

This is my first ever build, I'm trying to get a medium gaming PC on a pretty small budget, no more than $800. I checked the notes about the compatibility and it said my motherboard didn't have the 3.0 USB ports facing the same way as my tower, and a couple other things. Is there anything that I need to change? I also would like to know if the parts are a good fit for one another, or is something too powerful that it wouldn't be able to reach its full potential because something else is holding it back, of if something is a lot slower than the other parts. All help and recommendations are welcome, as I said this is my first build so I want to be sure of everything.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/YDz4M8

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, tbh the build you got put together was kind of all over the place. So, I reset the field for you and kinda made a basic list of the parts you would want(It also offers about $120-$150 room to upgrade and mess around with. The biggest thing I changed is the cpu, I have the 4690k and it is a great cpu but now with skylake released it is pointless to get it, so I got you the i5- 6500. I did not get you the unlocked one(i5-6600k) because I believe you won't overlock looking at the last build you made. I also changed the Mobo to a msi b150, it will be better in the long run. I also gave you 16gb of RAM, but if the only stressful thing you are going to do is game, I would recommend you just opt for 8gb of RAM and spend that extra cash on a gpu upgrade or maybe a better case. I also got you a SSD(you will thank me later). I also got a fully modular 650w PSU for you(room for upgrades plus building with a fully-modular is just better). I left the case for you to decide since that is personal pref, but I recommend the eclipse p400s, it is an amazing case for an amazing price. If you have any questions for me feel free to ask!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $204.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $69.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $72.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.88 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB FTW ACX 2.0 Video Card $124.99 @ Newegg
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $78.49 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $738.20
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $698.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 00:03 EDT-0400
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the feedback and what is probably a much better build than mine was.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I do have one more question. If I buy just what is in that build/list will I need anything else to put it together? (aside from a monitor mouse and keyboard) such as thermal cooling compound, wires, or having to buy an OS from somewhere else?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Sale of software and keys from that site often violates the ToS or are resold licenses purchased via fraudulent credit card. Recommending, suggesting, advising, encouraging, hinting, or in any way implying these keys as a solution or option is not allowed on this site.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

What site, and does the supply list that Narc0tic recommended have that same site or is ok?

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

The only issue was the windows key recommendation. Everything else is fine.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Mediocre and over-priced PSU.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Why not go with the Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 460. It is 4GB, Newer, and faster (I Believe).

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Outdated and bad parts.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $198.88 @ OutletPC
This is a new i5 that is faster and cheaper
Motherboard MSI B150M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $77.99 @ Amazon
Good quality motherboard made by MSI
Memory Mushkin Blackline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $59.99 @ Newegg
Very nice price for this ram stick combo and It also fit the black theme
Storage A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $63.49 @ NCIX US
Use this SSD to install programs such as Steam, Google Chrome, and Windows 10
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $45.88 @ OutletPC
Use this for other various non-important files or programs
Video Card Sapphire Radeon RX 460 4GB NITRO Video Card $130.99 @ Newegg
A great entry level card, if you want to play more demanding games I strongly recommend the 3GB GTX 1060 or the RX 470 4GB
Case Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Good quality and its made by Corsair
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $64.48 @ NCIX US
This PSU is good for what you need and it is made by SeaSonic (The best PSU brand on the market)
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $691.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 14:33 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube