add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Old buzzard, first build part selection critique request.

Ray-in-Kingwood

39 months ago

Howdy ya'll. I am going to go for my first build on my own.

As I am retired now and have the time, I will try and do a computer build. As I am a greenhorn to this any comments good or bad are certainly appreciated. I have a commercial electrical and electronics background so I feel confident in my ability to complete this task, surely much slower that you "experts'" ;)

I won't be doing any overclocking. I felt an air cooler is darn near as good and less stuff to go awry. I would fill up the case with fans and feel that should keep things pretty cool and quiet. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Game play is mainly for when my kids come home to roost for a bit....other than that it will be a computer to augment my existing Dell 27 inch all in one with 8 gig nd 2 mb video card that I use daily.

My main concern here is quiet dependability and a big gorgeous monitor. (951c will be ordered the white one it was not listed, same price)

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VbmwgL

The monitor Samsung CF791 (https://news.samsung.com/global/the-cf791-premium-curved-monitor-a-game-changer-in-the-display-industry) is my selected monitor. I noticed it has embedded AMD FreeSync™ functionality that synchronizes screen refresh rates with gamers’ AMD graphics cards. My question is should I change out video cards? Please advise.

Budget is open and not a major concern. Bang for the buck is what I am after. I would also consider dual cards it it makes that much of a difference.

Thank you in advance for your opinions. I value them and will incorporate them in the next edit. I only replace computers every 5 years or so, and my intent is to build a reliable future proof system that this time will be upgrade able.

I wont be doing wired which is why I selected the best wireless device available.

Once again, thank you kindly for your input.

Regards,

Ray

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VbmwgL

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

I would fill up the case with fans and feel that should keep things pretty cool and quiet. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

No need to fill case with fans unless case only supports few fans.

As for your build this would be my recommendations.

I would get the Krait 3x motherboard which cost around 145-150 bucks and you can get for 125 bucks now. It is better IMO and doesn't have the ugly brown pcb. The asus would still be fine.

Noctua thermal paste NT-H1 which comes with the cooler is better than the zalman.

If you want a quiet case why not get the best IMO.. Define R5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZIdbdcIiU

http://www.fractal-design.com/home/justsilence

120 bucks for a wifi adapter is insane..

For that resolution (3440 x 1440 ), the GTX 1080 would be a better choice.

Even if you add another GTX 1080 , a 750 watts psu would be fine. If you want silence go with the corsair RMX or RMi

The RMi 750 for 96 bucks with mail in rebate and promo is a steal

For silence go with noctua ULN 140mm (ultra low noise fans) or bequiet fans

This

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $227.88 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U9S 46.4 CFM CPU Cooler $57.88 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $124.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $66.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY CS1311 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $228.99 @ B&H
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $92.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $92.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Superclocked Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card $649.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply Corsair 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $96.82 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer $22.89 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $126.83 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Fan Controller NZXT SENTRY 3 Fan Controller $28.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Samsung S34E790C 34.0" 60Hz Monitor $799.00 @ B&H
Keyboard Thermaltake POSEIDON ZX Wired Standard Keyboard $60.99 @ SuperBiiz
Mouse Thermaltake TALON Blue LED Wired Optical Mouse $16.99 @ NCIX US
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2854.99
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $2824.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-18 13:43 EDT-0400
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for your reply. I plan on incorporating some of these changes as they make sense.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube