add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Want to build a gaming PC - but need help with PSU - any ideas

mark29_05

39 months ago

Hi,

I need help with my First computer build. I don't want to spend too much - min $2000. I have an idea on what parts to buy (look at link below) but need a hand on the PSU

I would also like some feedback if this build is a good first builder / open to new suggestions - I have also had some mixed reviews on Radeon and AMD but would like someone to comment on this build.

I also should forgot to mention that i want to run some VMs when i am not gaming - i have notice that some people said that i should get a i5 but i might need the i7 ?

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/PNY7RG

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point
  • For gaming you will never need an i7
  • This i7 is overclockable but the motherboard can't overclock.
  • 16GB of RAM is something also you'll never need for gaming, only for video editing.
  • The videocard is very mid-range and from last year, not too ideal.
  • Actually a very decent case and keyboard.
  • The cooler isn't too good for overclocking at all.

And AMD and Radeon aren't bad (Radeon is a trademark of AMD), they are just as good as Nvidia. Only some years some videocards from Nvidia are better, sometimes the AMD cards are better. This year in the high end section AMD hasn't released their cards yet while Nvidia already did. For 2000, here's a great list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $324.00 @ Centre Com
CPU Cooler Deepcool CAPTAIN 240 WHITE 182.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $119.00 @ Mwave Australia
Motherboard MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $228.80 @ Newegg Australia
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $75.00 @ Umart
Storage Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $99.00 @ Shopping Express
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $65.00 @ Shopping Express
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card $649.00 @ Shopping Express
Case Phanteks ECLIPSE P400S ATX Mid Tower Case $109.00 @ PCCaseGear
Power Supply Fractal Design Integra M 650W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $108.99 @ Mwave Australia
Wireless Network Adapter Intel 7260HMWDTX1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $79.00 @ CPL Online
Keyboard Ducky Zero Shine Blue LED Keyboard Wired Gaming Keyboard $109.00 @ CPL Online
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1965.79
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-19 22:19 AEST+1000

If you have any questions, ask me.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Just for gaming an i5 will be very sufficient, however unless you just want it to run at its rated speed (no overclocking).

A H or B series board will not let you overclock. You'll need a Z170 board for an i7-6700k or i5-6600k if you wish to overclock.

I'll disagree with Maxxoz on the Memory though. For gaming, 16GB will be the most you'll ever need for the life of the build as some games now are requiring 8GB minimum. However, you can get away with 8GB of RAM very comfortably though if you wish to save a few dollars. Also, when it comes to a H or B series motherboard, Just go for the cheapest RAM, as pretty much all RAM is good now days. For a Z170 board, 2800-3000 seems to be the "sweet spot" most will say for price/performance.

I will agree that the GTX960 is not a great choice as you can get an RX470, or better yet RX480 (The 480 is enough for 1080p (FHD) to be maxed out on practically any game out there, the 470 is just behind that.) OR If you do prefer NVidia, the 1060 (6GB) trades blows with the 480. NVidia also has their higher end cards available, the 1070 and 1080, while AMD is waiting for next year for their high-end cards. As to which is better? Depends on model and your concerns. AMD has had some cards in the past that competed well in performance while wanting more power than NVidia, and vice-versa. If power wasn't a concern at the time, it boiled down to features, exact price, and your brand preference.

Keyboards and cases (well, the looks thereof) are subjective and can vary from person to person. While the case is fairly new, and the keyboard has been around for a while, both have proven themselves to be of quality.

Power Supplies: Be careful here. Too cheap and you have a time-bomb waiting to cause you grief, not only with probable system errors, but potentially taking out the most expensive parts of your system when it dies. Then, there are also units that are way too-expensive too. If you find a good PSU Tier chart, stick with Tier 1 or 2 PSUs for the most part. A smaller office machine can probably get away with tier 3 PSUs for a very long time. Tier 4 is where things get more problematic and are better to avoid. Tier 5, stay clear of those completely at all costs. (the super-cheap PSUs fall into tier 5). Look for Most Corsair (watch the price, they can be super expensive, and some models (i.e. the CX builder series. The CXM units are better though) are tier 3, while some feel they are more like tier 4 or 5) Look for Gen 2 EVGA units as well. Rosewill can be hit and miss on quality. It depends on the model, most of those are around tier 3 level.

for the short answer on Power Supplies, buy the best you can afford without paying too much. Avoid the always found in the bargain bin models like the plague.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube