add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replacing a ReadyNAS Pro w/ DIY NAS for Plex, Kobi, and storing lots of pdf's

Monkey_Demon

39 months ago

The latest version of Plex no longer runs on my ReadyNAS Pro, so I'm planning to upgrade. After looking at what's available in the enclosure market, I've decided I can get more bang for the buck with a DIY. I've worked inside computers for decades, installing RAM, cards, and hard drives, but I've never built a computer from scratch before. So I'd like your expert opinion on the parts list below.

The main considerations are (1) my current needs, which include Plex & Kobi support, as well as WebDAV support for access to my large library of pdf's; (2) future-proofing, with room to grow by adding more storage; (3) this will wind up in the media center off my living room, so silence is golden, as is modest size. Currently the ReadyNAS Pro uses 2x3TB WD Red drives mirrored with RAID. My initial intent is to replicate this arrangement, only using 2x4TB WD Red drives.

Here's the parts list

• CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1225 V5 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $216.95 (chosen because it's Skylake & uses less power, and because it has built-in graphics, which I'll need for maintenance with the MB I'm using)

• CPU Cooler: Prolimatech PRO-SAM 17 Fanless CPU Cooler $44.99 (fanless to keep it quiet, and it's a relatively flat design; but I can add a fan if it runs hot)

• Motherboard: ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $197.99 (mainly because it supports 8 SATA3 6GB/s; no on-board graphics though, hence the choice of a CPU with graphics support)

• Memory: 2 Kingston ValueRAM 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2144 ECC Memory $89.98 (never used ECC before; should I buy this in a pair?)

• SSD Storage: A-Date Premier SP550 120GB 2.5" SSD $37.99 (will use for OS/buffers, etc.)

• HD Storage: 2 Western Digital Red 4TV 3.5" 5400RPM hard drives @ $147.82 ea. $$295.64 (I've read about people making drive hot swappable. Can I do it with these & the case I'm using? How?)

• Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case $79.99 (Size matters; seems to have all I need; my one reservation is it only has USB 3.0; but the MB has 2.0 on back; will I be able to access it? I don't know if I'll even need USB 2.0)

• Power Supply: Seasonic X Series Fanless 460W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply $109.99 (460W is overkill as PCPartPicker estimates 160W for this system. I went fanless to cut down on noise. The case has 3 fans, and I'm hoping that's sufficient.)

All told, this setup costs $1,073.52.

I'll have to get some SATA wires too. I usually use a second monitor with my iMac, but I can use the Acer monitor with this machine while I'm initially setting it up. I'm pretty sure I have an extra working keyboard and mouse among my spare parts.

What do you think of this? Anything else I left out? Suggestions?

(P.S. A modification to the above configuration I'm considering is to use a Rosewill RSV-L4000 case instead of the Fractal Design. It's the same price as the FD, but the Rosewill case has several advantages. It's wider and lower than the FD, which better fits my media center. It's regular ATX, and besides there being more choices of ATX motherboards, they come with more SATA connections and have more room for cards, etc. I'm thinking of using an ASRock X99 Taichi LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Motherboard - Intel motherboard, for $219.99. Your thoughts about this would be most appreciated.)

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube