add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
montiago
  • 43 months ago

Ok, so, I'm probably going to use CableMod regardless, but I wanted to check online if I could find a set of black/gold PSU cables I could use for my black/gold themed PC I'm building.

Came across these Corsair RM cables, but I was planning on buying an EVGA G2 PSU. Aren't PSU cables the same all around? Do you think there would be compatibility issues?

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Corsair-RM-Series-Individually-Sleeved-Modular-Cable-Set-%28Black%7B47%7DGold%29.html

Comments

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

They will not work. They are physically incompatible and likely electrically too since some pins use double wires. You will need to shovel out the extra money and have them custom made.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, thanks. I'm not willing to switch to a Corsair RM anyways. Go big or go home, right? :p

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

its good that you are not willing to switch from a g2 to rm since the g2 is alot better then the rm from corsair.

unless it is the rm(x or i) those have the same performance as the g2 from evga. but even then those cables won't fit on the rm(x or i).

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 43 months ago
  • 2 points

Nope, please don't use them interchangeably. The connectors would likely fit, contrary to what Vagabond said, as most PSU manufacturers just use the male connector type or a very similar type of the cable that they are using (EPS, PCIe, etc.), EVGA does it, Corsair does it, etc (speaking from experience from sleeving cables for my power supply, and a lot of other sleeved cables.) However, on a lot of psus, the 8 pin psu connector for the PCIe cables will be different than the CPU cables, which is very nice, as the two connectors use different combinations of +12v and ground, and should not be intermixed.

However, they are likely electrically incompatible, like others said.

Also, I would highly advise against going with the Cablemods cables, they are good value for a full set, but are really low quality when you compare them to some other more "Boutique" cable sleevers.

Cablemods, along with some others (corsair and EVGA for sure) manufacture their cables on machines, which forces them to use thin wire, and thin sleeving. Sure it is still sleeved, but the sleeving is nowhere near as thick as a the high quality sleeve you get from Ensourced, Icemodz, etc, who use much thicker sleeving which really fills the cables, and 16 AWG wire, compared to cablemod's 18 AWG (I'm pretty sure it is 18 or even higher, which is thinner.) Another thing is I've seen more than one case where Cablemods stuffs two wires into the connector on the end you can see, and it looks absolutely *, as well as sleeve pulling off or fraying.

On the topic of choosing a psu, I agree with many of the other users here, the Corsair RMx and EVGA G2 are both excellent PSUs for what you pay, the RMx does edge out the G2 slightly, with lower voltage regulation (less load on other components in your computer that step down the voltage like your mobo, cpu, and gpu), slightly higher efficiency, and slightly better ripple control, which in theory would enable higher overclocks, but both of these psus are so legendary-ly good, you really will not see a difference.

Furthermore, I'll suggest some places that would be great to buy PSU cables from:

Paracord (nylon weave, similar to what Bitfenix and Cablemods use with their Modflex, but is much thicker)

Ensourced.net: He's the man. Buy all of my sleeving supplies from him - Joey is a great guy!

PexonPCs: They make a wide variety of cables

MDPC-X, this is the real stuff. Made in Germany just for sleeving cables, great QC, but I'll be completely frank, I personally don't like the orange nor the purple in real life, I feel Teleois looks better in this aspect

Icemodz: Mundi (the guy who runs it) is a real pro. Great guy, highly recommend

Beyond Customs: Another great dude. Never have bought anything, but he does full sleeving, and has good prices.

Teleois, kind of like MDPC-X, smaller diameter, made in China, but still high quality

PexonPCs: They do this as well as paracord

Hope this helps!

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

, contrary to what Vagabond said, as most PSU manufacturers just use the male connector type or a very similar type of the cable that they are using (EPS, PCIe, etc.), EVGA does it, Corsair does it, etc (speaking from experience from sleeving cables for my power supply, and a lot of other sleeved cables.)

Correct. I didn't even bother looking at the physical pin out and just went on the caution side.

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

It's all good man. It shouldn't be done in any case - doesn't really matter

• 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't know how I missed this, but thanks colin and vagabond!

Ensourced and IceModz are both out of stock :(

Gonna try my luck with the other modders.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 43 months ago
  • 1 point

Gotcha.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube