add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
thedrew

39 months ago

Hello all, new to this gaming PC thing. Deciding to switch over from console. I have researched(probably over researched) to build a decent computer that is at least future proof for awhile, with a good upgrade path capability. I didn't want to break the bank either. I want to play games, at 1080p with at least 60 FPS as well as have the ability to run virtual reality once I decide to take the plunge. I will also be doing some GoPro video editing. The games I would be playing are GTA V, Call of Duty and Battlefield. I feel like this is a pretty solid build, but I would like to get some feedback. See if there's anywhere I could improve, or maybe subtract without much compromise and save any more money. I wouldn't like it to be terribly loud as well. Picky I know, but thanks in advance!

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hKMRKZ

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points
  • ram is poorly priced, can get 2666, 2800, 3000 mhz kits for the price
  • SSD same thing, MX300 275GB is $8 less and faster
  • EVGA 550 G2 is a better, much quieter psu than the G550
  • I'd go for the mid tower Pro M/Acrylic over the Pro full tower
[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks great, but I have a comments. -Why a $100 optical drive? -Since you're going with a Z170 Mobo, do you plan on getting an unlocked Intel CPU at some point? -I don't know much about video editing, but I know people usually say you want at least an i7, but at the very least you might want to get a 6600k.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I was going for the ability to read Blu ray, but I don't think it will be necessary. I do plan on upgrading the CPU at some point. I figured I would just go ahead and get this motherboard now that way I'm not buying two parts at once when I do upgrade. Why the 6600k? Is there a significant boost with it? I know you can over clock, but I wasn't planning on doing that as I believe with the graphics card and CPU combo, I'll be able to run pretty much anything now as well as most future at least for the next couple years.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I would just pay the up front cost if you plan on upgrading your CPU in the future. The 6500 is by all means a great CPU, I have it myself, but I only only went with it to save a few bucks between both the CPU and Mobo. If you plan on getting a Z170 Mobo,I personally think you're better off taking advantage of the ability to overclock.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Have a new parts list put together here. Including the OS, speakers, etc. Looks pretty solid. I kept the Asus motherboard only because for 10 more it has SLI support along with more SATA ports for adding hard drives in the future. Unless I am reading the specs wrong. I also swapped out the power supply for PureBlackFires's suggested EVGA. That tower was a great suggestion, along with the CPU and graphics card. I'll use a controller more often than the keyboard. At least until I can acclimate myself to the keyboard gaming. I already bought the monitor a couple days ago, it was on sale on B&H. So minus the extras, looking at just under 1200. Doesnt seem to bad for an excellent gaming rig/photo and video editor. Any suggestions on those extras as well? Thanks again for the responses, it's greatly appreciated! http://pcpartpicker.com/user/thedrew/saved/wbYJxr

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, will I need to get any additional case fans?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube