add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming build under 3K. Any advice or thoughts appreciated. I'm obsessing

polorsport

39 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/polorsport/saved/#view=LZTWZL

So this build is pricey. And I am not a rich man. I decided to sell my old pc, monitor, and a ton of console gaming stuff to get a better pc than I had. (i5 2500k, gtx 780 sc, etc)

I'm looking to game. Mostly triple A titles. Witches 3, Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Battlefield 1. And do some browsing of the Internet, light movie watching.

I got an email with a couple of deals from newegg today. Nothing great deal wise. But the 6700k / Asus Hero combo seemed good, as well as the 5tb wd hd. (I have newegg premiere)

I'm going basically cold turkey with no gaming machine using my 06 build pc, and going from having all current gen consoles and new 3ds to just a jail broken mgs PS3 which will be gone Friday.(I give my sanity a month and a half tops)

Should I buy now or wait? Anything I messed up on? Is a mid tower to small maybe? The Rog swift seems very hit or miss in terms of build quality. Maybe a different monitor?

Side note I'm not trying to go Mlg. Although gaming is my main hobby I don't take it to seriously. And honestly I think I suck for as much time as I play.

Comments

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

everything looks great to me but i would get the corsair vengence ltx 16gb kit instead

also the nex evga's are not that good get a g2 model instead

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

everything looks great to me

Really.. 140 bucks for a 240mm liquid cooler is great.. It is even way outdated, reason for that price which should be around 100.. His ram is fine and yes the nex is a bad choice.

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

''also the nex evga's are not that good get a g2 model instead'' your right i completely overlooked the price of the water cooler

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes.. I'm agreeing with your statement. :)

• 39 months ago
  • 3 points

ok sorry misinterpreted that ;)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity why would you go with that ram?

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

cheeper, newer, looks better (my opinion)

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

First FLAW is the EVGA NEX G1, avoid it because it is not a good choice. Around that price you can get the EVGA GQ which is way better.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kz7CmG/evga-power-supply-210gq0650

140 bucks for an outdated H100i which suffers from a noisy pump is crazy. Just so you know its old it was replaced by the H100i GTX which was then replaced by the V2. You can get the newest H100i V2 for around 100

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CrDzK8/corsair-cpu-cooler-cw9060025ww

As for arctic silver I would drop it because it is conductive and has a 200 hour setting time. Corsair cooler comes with pretty decent thermal paste "shin etsu". Only reason to buy one is if you need to remove it and I would recommend arctic cooling Mx4.

Maybe 650w isn't enough?

Yes it is..

As for ram it is perfectly fine.. I would get the Ripjaws V which look nicer.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3CdFf7/gskill-ripjaws-v-series-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-f4-3000c15d-16gvkb

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Great input thank you!

This is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

• 39 months ago
  • 3 points

pouts in the corner

lol im only 13

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

:)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

It's all good Soccerbeast_1.

I appreciate you trying to help.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

ty

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I am only 13

• 39 months ago
  • 2 points

You're welcome! :)

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I have two 2tb hard drives that are mostly full I will be adding, as well as 4tb external hard drive and a 1tb hard drive. I had 1000w power system before. Maybe 650w isn't enough?

I would like this PC to last me 5 years with the exception of the graphics card that I like to change every 3 years.

• 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Would it be better to wait for sales? Or are these prices decent for what I'm getting?

By waiting. I mean like a month or so.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

I made some revisions to my initial build to try and save some money. Hopefully I didn't lose to much in performance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GMgDZ8

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

Good tips. And I updated my psu as you recommended. Reading the article now.

[comment deleted]
  • 39 months ago
  • 1 point

You're right. The monitor is the one part I wish I could find something cheaper. I might check ebay or used market on craigslist.

I didn't mention this earlier. But, one thing I don't want to miss out on is Gsync. I hear great things about it. I might get to try one on Friday.

The monitor you linked to doesn't have gsync.

I originally had the 950 pro in my build but got a comparability error

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube